Wednesday, July 3, 2024

Students look for options to cover costs

Dennis Martell

Dr. D.,

I am not sure you can help, but my father recently lost his job, and thus I no longer have health insurance. I have an ongoing problem that I need to go to the doctor for and my parents said to check with the health center. I am not sure what to do, or who to talk to, and I’m getting worried. Do you have any suggestions?

— TR.

Dear TR.,

Thanks for taking the time to write. I want you to know that I hear you and sincerely feel deeply for you and your family. No one doubts that the present condition of our society is challenging us all. What many do not realize is that, for some, the result of this challenge is that it leaves real people with few options for basic care.

The fact is that there are many MSU students who are now, or have always been, without health insurance. Our latest 2008 National College Health Assessment survey puts it at somewhere around 10 percent, which by my calculations is nearly 4,600 students. This number does not even include those who are underinsured. We additionally have students who, beyond being uninsured, are just trying to get their basic needs met.

As for your present condition, here are your options: Olin Health Center allows all enrolled students three subsidized visits. In other words, you can come to the health center to see a medical provider about a health condition without charge three times during the academic year. Granted, it does not pay for tests, prescriptions or other things outside of the visit that may be required, but the visit is free to you. If there are other charges associated with that visit, you do not have to pay on the spot. We can help you set up a payment plan that is workable for you.

Since you said you have ongoing health needs, I have to at least mention the MSU Aetna Student Health insurance plan. Granted, it is not inexpensive, but depending on the extent of your health care needs it may end up being cheaper than the cost of care. The student insurance plan is offered through the MSU Human Resources Benefits office, and the cost works out to about $120 per month. The enrollment deadline for spring semester coverage is Jan. 31.

In the Lansing community, there are health services available that charge on a sliding scale based on family income.

More information is available on the MSU benefits Web site at hr.msu.edu/hrsite/Benefits/.

All students should have health care, and I want to suggest a course of action. As a proud alumnus, I think it is time for members of the MSU alumni community to step up and put up the funds to create an endowment we can draw from to help those students who are uninsured get the health care they need.

I ask this not of our administration, faculty or staff, but of our immense, successful and proud alumni who reside in all parts of the world. What say thee, Spartans? Carpe diem!

— Dr. D.

Dennis Martell, Ph.D., is a coordinator of Olin Health Center education. E-mail him your questions at dennis.martell@ht.msu.edu.

Share and discuss “Students look for options to cover costs” on social media.