Wednesday, May 22, 2024

Spartans must develop consistency to complement depth

For Travis Walton, basketball is nothing without consistency.

A team can slam the ball through the hoop 100 times, make 16 3-pointers or even destroy an opponent by 50 points in a single game.

But if it’s a one-night affair, you’d might as well kick it to the side, stomp on it and forget about the feat like yesterday’s news.

“Great teams are remembered from being consistent,” the senior guard said. “We have to continue to be consistent and improve on the things we need to improve on.”

So far, so good.

The MSU men’s basketball team has defeated its last three opponents by increments of 61, 43 and 38 points for a combined 142 points.

And MSU head coach Tom Izzo said he’s been thrilled with his team’s ability to score and pass the ball efficiently.

But to truly allow Izzo to sleep at night — or at least a little sounder than usual — the Spartans have to full-court press harder on teams and make their opponents work for buckets.

Izzo said his squad has enough endurance to wear down teams, running guys off the bench more than 25 minutes a game, using his depth to MSU’s advantage.

“I think (coach is) different in the aspect that he kind of knows there are going to be a little bit more mistakes, turnovers,” senior forward Marquise Gray said. “Even though we didn’t have a lot last night, it isn’t going to be like that all the time, with the style we play and the kind of guys we have. Then again coach is coach, he was like that way before me, way before my team, he was like that when he was with Jud (Heathcote).”

Deeper than deep

Fans know what they can expect out of bench players like freshman forward Delvon Roe and senior center Idong Ibok.

But sometimes, guys turn heads unexpectedly, such as redshirt freshman Austin Thornton.

“He works hard and when you work hard, good things always come out of that,” Walton said. “He shoots the ball great in practice every day. He’s getting what he deserves with (playing time).”

Thornton, or “AT” as his team calls him, buried three 3-pointers against Idaho, shooting 100 percent from the floor in nine minutes of play.

And he said he knows that’s why he impressed Izzo as a walk-on from day one.

“Talking to coach, he says ‘I want you to go in there and do your job, do what you can do,’” Thornton said. “He told me during an exhibition game at halftime, he said ‘You’re not very good at dribbling, you’re not very good at passing, all I want you to do is to just catch and shoot.’ Anytime a coach asks you (to do that), it’s easy to.”

Share and discuss “Spartans must develop consistency to complement depth” on social media.