Wednesday, July 3, 2024

Donations from food drive to benefit needy

MSU linebackers weren’t the only ones doing the tackling this weekend. Several MSU students and community members did their part in donating to the second annual Help Tackle Hunger Food Drive.

The food drive, co-sponsored by MSU’s Division of Housing and Food Services and the athletics department, was held throughout last week, culminating at the football game between MSU and Purdue on Saturday.

“Being able to touch as many people as we touch on a football Saturday and then hopefully activating those folks to remember those less fortunate than themselves by bringing donations … it just allows us to touch a whole lot more people,” said Tami Kuhn, University Activities Office manager and coordinator of the food drive.

Donation sites were set up all week in every residence hall on campus, as well as in the Union, Kellogg Center, Spartan Village Community Center and University Apartments Community Center.

On Saturday, three marked collection points were set up around the stadium with an additional three at tailgating lots 92 (off Service Road), 89 (off Farm Lane) and Munn Field. Cash donations also were accepted at all Sparty’s coffeehouses and the Union Central Store, as well as concession stands in Spartan Stadium.

Vennie Gore, assistant vice president for Housing and Food Services, said all food donated on campus will be delivered to the MSU Student Food Bank located in Olin Health Center, and all food donated at Spartan Stadium will go to the Greater Lansing Food Bank.

Gore said this year’s goal was to raise 1,200 pounds in food — twice as much as was donated last year.

Gore also said more donations were needed this year than last year, largely due to the U.S. and Michigan economies.

“At one point earlier this year, there were folks having to choose between whether to put gas in their car or to feed their families,” he said.

“It’s very important that those of us that are fortunate enough to give to others do that.”

Communication freshman Lu Wang helped with collecting food before the game on Saturday asking for food, personal care items or cash donations.

“I think if we can help others, we need to do something, even if it’s a little bit,” she said. “Small things, that’s what’s important — to do what we can.”

Share and discuss “Donations from food drive to benefit needy” on social media.