MSU finishes regular season with U-M tilt

Junior midfielder Megan Brown (10) jumps to help block a ball away from freshman goalkeeper Jill Flietstra in the first half Sunday afternoon at DeMartin Stadium at Old College Field.

Just because there are no shoulder pads or helmets doesn’t mean the MSU-Michigan rivalry holds any less weight on a soccer field.

Ask the Spartans women’s soccer team — they aren’t shy about letting everyone know the importance of Friday’s 3 p.m. contest.

“We haven’t lost to them since I’ve been here, so I want to go out and beat them one last time,” senior defender Kelley Amormino said. “Everyone knows Michigan because they get the players that we don’t get or we get the recruits that they don’t get, so it’s always a big game.”

But perhaps the most important part of playing U-M is what the Spartans (13-5-1 overall, 5-4 Big Ten) have on the line — an untarnished record of 9-0-1 at DeMartin Stadium at Old College Field.

It’s only appropriate that the Green and White defend that record against their biggest rivals.

“You don’t need to say a whole lot about it, because it is what it is,” MSU head coach Tom Saxton said. “It’s the same in any sport here at MSU. In women’s soccer, these kids know each other pretty well from club soccer with teammates versus teammates, just like neighbors versus neighbors. We don’t need to overhype it because everyone knows how important it is. It’s special because it doesn’t matter what the teams’ records are coming in.”

Since 1994, the Spartans hold a 4-8-4 record against U-M.

A second go at it

Once MSU wraps up the regular season Friday afternoon, the Spartans will have a week until the Big Ten Tournament begins Nov. 6 in Iowa City, Iowa.

Junior midfielder Megan Brown said she and her team aren’t nervous about playing any one team, compared to years past when the Spartans’ swagger just wasn’t there.

“It helps playing and beating many of the Big Ten teams earlier on in the season,” she said. “Because of it, we have confidence knowing we can play with any team in the conference, we can look at what strengths they have, what strengths we have and we can capitalize on what we know.”

The Spartans have yet to string together two conference tournament victories in a row.

Brrrr-ing it on!

As the temperature continues to drop, Saxton said he knows his team must continue to rise — above all the factors trying to pull the Spartans down and out.

“The field conditions get chewed up, the wind picks up and it’s colder than ever,” he said. “We have to learn to adjust to it but it does add emphasis to the physical side of the game.”

And for junior forward Lauren Hill, low temperatures only affect a player if they let it get in their head.

Hill has dealt with Michigan weather since she first laid eyes on a soccer ball.

“I think it’s about keeping your head right and simply keeping composure,” Hill said. “Soccer is a physical game but, it’s mostly mental — especially when the weather has come into play. We all rise above that and forget about it.”

Share and discuss “MSU finishes regular season with U-M tilt” on social media.