Wednesday, July 3, 2024

Learning how to deal with the promiscuous one...

It’s been a long night of studying, you’re exhausted and nothing is more exciting to you than getting some rest. But as soon as you catch a glimpse of your dorm room, you see it.

The tie on the door.

The universal sign for “do not come in, I’m getting busy,” and one sign of a “promiscuous” roommate.

“(Having a promiscuous roommate) may go against your morals and your ethics,” said Dennis Martell, health education services coordinator at Olin Health Center. “It infringes on your privacy without a doubt, especially if they’re bringing partners to the house and they don’t tell you about it.”

In a situation where you don’t know what your roommate plans to do, when they plan to do it and with whom, communication is key.

“It all boils down to communication. You have to negotiate all this stuff,” Martell said.

Simply communicating with your roommate when they plan on getting intimate with their significant other — or someone else — can make a huge difference and help to avoid some potentially awkward moments.

Because just telling your roommate to “get a room” doesn’t really work — especially when it’s yours, too.

—Compiled by Dan Faas, The State News

Share and discuss “Learning how to deal with the promiscuous one...” on social media.