MSU baseball team reacts to use of instant replay in MLB

Major League Baseball pulled the plug on the long-ball confusion last week — potential home run balls are now subject to video review when umpires find it necessary on fair-foul calls.

But just because the rule change doesn’t directly affect players and coaches at the collegiate level doesn’t mean the MSU baseball team isn’t voicing opinions on the matter.

“I am in favor of the video review,” MSU baseball head coach Jake Boss Jr. said. “I am in favor of umpires making the right call. I’m a baseball purist and if that means going to the tape to find out if a ball is a home run or not, then so be it.”

If the umpire crew chief finds it necessary for a ball to be reviewed, every umpire on the field will leave until a video umpire supports or refutes the original call. Fan interference on potential dingers also is taken into consideration, which has become an issue in the past.

“If it were possible, I do think it would be valuable for all levels to have the replay rule,” senior Johnny Lee said.

Sophomore outfielder Jeff Holm said a detriment to the new system might arise if the video replay starts to slow down the game — which shouldn’t be stopped or have its flow interrupted. Or more drastically, it could promote more uses of replay.

“It may open a door to a whole bunch of unnecessary occurrences or rules that don’t need to be in place,” he said.

But senior catcher Eric Roof said he doesn’t care how long it takes the umpires — a correct call is necessary.

Share and discuss “MSU baseball team reacts to use of instant replay in MLB” on social media.