Monday, September 23, 2024

The style of living

Lifestylist helps her clients look, feel their best inside and out with range of services at Lansing store

Ashley Medina talks about C.H.I.L.L and the inspiration for her storefront layout.

Flanked by two toddlers who are modeling dresses from her latest juniors fashion line, Lansing stylist and entrepreneur Ashley Medina meticulously stares down her biggest challenge of the day. “She definitely has her work cut out for her,” joked Medina’s former roommate Noelle Couturier, the challenge in the question. Leading her through her storefront Creating Hope in Lansing Lives, or C.H.I.L.L., located at 603 E. Michigan Ave. in Lansing, the two walk to a small area in the back, the surrounding walls littered with pictures of models’ hairstyles for inspiration.

Once inside C.H.I.L.L., a center designed to offer lifestyle assessment for clients as well as style improvement, the mirage portraying her work as an obstacle soon dissipates. Inside this space creativity flourishes, and Medina transforms into a guru built to handle any problem her clients have.

Taking moments to size up the task at hand, she snaps photographs of her ex-roomie’s hair and clothes in the part of C.H.I.L.L. where models dress themselves for photo shoots.

“I feel like I’m inside your closet,” Couturier said while staring at rack upon rack of clothes Medina has stocked up on for such an occasion.

Having crafted a strategy, she gives her prognosis.

“This won’t take more than 10 minutes,” Medina said. “I can guarantee it.”

Eight minutes later, Couturier now sports a fashionable hairstyle and outfit thanks to Medina’s makeover. Her work this night, devoid of haste despite the brevity, serves as a showcase to back her claims of being Lansing’s premier lifestylist.

Excuse me, did you say “life” stylist?

Medina, 28, said her work is in her blood, something passed on through family values.

“My dad and his family are very into the arts,” she explained. “It’s something that’s important to us. It’s not that we go out to be the most stylish people, we just want to present ourselves in a (certain) way.”

The true goal for Medina is not to become Lansing’s top fashionista, but rather to try and quell the social issues that troubled students and adults face.

“I’d love to help lower depression and suicide rates in this area,” she said.

She also aims to help her clients discover the true source of beauty within themselves.

“The need to be fashionable is a lifestyle — a way to express yourself and individualize yourself,” she said. “It’s something that reflects on your relationships and your work.”

Spurred by the suicide of a loved one, Medina devoted her time to finding ways to apply her skills toward not only creating a new look for her clients, but also on finding a new outlook on life.

“It’s all in (a person’s) mind,” Medina said. “Whatever situation someone’s been through, there still is hope. It’s just about assessing (their) situation, figuring out their situation and going from there.”

She opted to perfect her hairstyling craft at Douglas J Aveda Institute, 331 E. Grand River Ave., in 2005, attributing her choice to the school’s reputation and diversity in students.

“Ashley was an amazing student,” said Ryann Wieber, cosmetology instructor at Aveda. “I think it’s awesome that she has so much talent and she followed through with her goal of opening up her shop.”

Medina labels her occupation as a “lifestylist” — offering her clients support in realms of their life that extend past their personal sense of style and dress.

Former MSU football star T.J. Duckett, who now plays in the NFL for the Seattle Seahawks, agrees with Medina’s assessment and has faith in her ability to make a change.

“There is so much talent and potential in the area,” Duckett said. “All you need is a leader to help pull people together as a team in order to create (change). She has the drive, motivation, and energy to do it.”

Medina said it was through her work as a nanny and child care specialist that she honed the nurturing skills necessary to give her clients personal advice on such an intimate basis.

“I wasn’t going to be a nanny forever, but it helped by teaching me how to manage my lifestyle, household and people around it,” she said.

The big C.H.I.L.L.

According to Medina, C.H.I.L.L. is the manifestation of all her skills into one, giving her the chance to tailor her passions around one goal.

“All of my experiences have served as a growth up to this point,” she said.

C.H.I.L.L. offers several services for students and citizens alike. Musicians, models and artists often use the spot as a venue to hone their crafts.

MSU graduate student Bryan Beverly, who also serves as an instructor for the Spartan Youth program GEAR UP, has collaborated with Medina — utilizing her as a resource in Lansing high schools to help students find an outlet for their creativity.

“Ashley’s long-term vision is for C.H.I.L.L. to be an asset to the community,” he said. “She shows a desire to work with our youth, developing their design potential.”

C.H.I.L.L. also serves as the base of operations for Medina’s styling services. She offers a membership to the building, which will allow students to receive consultation, massages, and hair touch-ups from her personally for free.

Medina tailors her services around her clients’ finances, finding the best ways to enhance their lives without demanding much from their pockets.

“I will never recommend anything my clients can’t afford,” she said. “It’s all about helping make their life comfortable, and budgeting is a big part of that.”

Her main goal is to inevitably transform C.H.I.L.L. into a premier resource center, using her talents and the connections she shares with friends to serve any potential client’s needs.

Establishing those connections, she said, is the key to helping her and the city grow side by side.

“My goal is just to help,” she said. “Just like anyone in their profession says, I’m the best at what I do and I’m here for the people.”

Share and discuss “The style of living” on social media.