MSU taps EMU for new skipper

Boss

Five days after former MSU baseball coach David Grewe spurned MSU to take an associate head coaching position with LSU, the Spartans found their new “Boss.”

Lansing native Jake Boss Jr., who led Eastern Michigan to a 2008 NCAA Tournament appearance in his first and only season as the school’s head coach, accepted an offer Tuesday to coach the team he grew up watching.

“Being the head coach at MSU really is a dream come true,” the 37-year-old Boss said. “It may take some time to get to a championship game every year, but we have the resources and a very good recruiting class that coach Grewe brought in. I’m very fortunate to step into such a good situation.”

Boss began his collegiate coaching career in 1998 as an assistant coach with Eastern Michigan. After seven years with the Eagles, he left Ypsilanti to become a recruiting coordinator and assistant coach with Michigan — a post he held until 2007, when the Eagles brought him back to be their head coach.

Last season, he guided the Eagles to the MAC West championship, the MAC Tournament title and an NCAA Tournament berth. He became the second coach in conference history to win the MAC tournament and make the NCAA Tournament in his first season, and earned 2008 MAC Coach of the Year for his efforts.

Boss said MSU’s blue-collar roster has the potential to mimic the immediate success he achieved at EMU.

“I’m familiar with a lot of the guys just from playing against them,” Boss said. “There is definitely a big chance for success and it’s my job to bring it out on the field.”

With a new 2,500-seat stadium on the horizon, MSU Athletics Director Mark Hollis said he wanted to bring in a coach who can instill life back to the baseball program.

“Jake is committed to winning with integrity and understands the entire scope and impact Spartan baseball has on our community and the state of Michigan,” Hollis said in a press release.

“He is committed to getting the best out of his student-athletes whether they are on the field, in the classroom, or preparing them to become contributing members of our society.”

Boss has wasted little time making his mark on the program. He said he has already hit the recruiting trail and has introduced himself to most of MSU’s returning players.

“When Old College Field is finished, you won’t find a better atmosphere anywhere in college baseball, and it’s really going to help with recruiting,” Boss said. “We are going to hit the ground running this season and it really is an honor to wear MSU across my chest.”

Sophomore Jeff Holm said he was excited to hear Boss was taking over as head coach.

“He’s going to be a great fit and since he’s from Lansing, it makes it that much more special for both him and the guys on the team,” he said.

“I really think that we are going to be way over .500 this season.”

Eastern Michigan senior Matt Shoemaker said he was surprised by Boss’ decision to leave, but that he and his teammates understand his decision.

“It’s tough losing a good coach, but you’ve got to realize what is going to be best for him,” he said. “He is a really great guy, and I think that he will do really well at MSU, especially with recruiting because he has a good pull with guys coming out of Michigan and Ohio.”

Share and discuss “MSU taps EMU for new skipper” on social media.