Wednesday, July 3, 2024

With proper resources, MSU students making good choices

On Friday, The Lantern, The Ohio State University’s newspaper, reported that 39 percent of Ohio State students used a condom the last time they had sex.

Well, in the name of competition I want to say congratulations MSU students — you win! According to the 2006 National College Health Assessment, or NCHA, at MSU, 59 percent of MSU students chose to use a condom the last time they had sex.

The 2008 NCHA data will be released in August of this year and shows an upward trend in that percentage.

Could it be an increase in access to condoms on campus (Olin Health Center and the Residence Halls Association team up to give away more than 50,000 condoms each academic year), or an increased knowledge about reducing your risk when engaging in sex (Health Education Services hosts free and anonymous HIV testing, in addition to outreach workshops in and out of the classroom). Perhaps it’s all those things and more combined.

At any rate, Spartans are making healthy decisions on this campus. Let’s continue to set an example for all the Big Ten universities. GO GREEN, GO WHITE, GO STATE!

Erin Williston
health educator for Olin Health Center

Share and discuss “With proper resources, MSU students making good choices” on social media.