Sunday, June 16, 2024

Mother's Day activities draw crowds despite rain

Though Mother’s Day came in the midst of dreary weather and an even drearier economy, local business owners and event organizers said the holiday was still a success.

Despite the rain, an outdoor Mother’s Day event hosted by Woldumar Nature Center and the Mid Michigan Photography Club drew 300 to 400 people.

“We had a splendid turnout, I couldn’t believe how many people came,” said Lori McSweeny, executive director for Woldumar.

The event, Wildflower Weekend, was held Saturday and Sunday at Woldumar Nature Center, 5739 Old Lansing Road in Lansing and featured an art show and pancake breakfast.

“There were one-of-a-kind art booths, and the theme was the natural world,” McSweeny said.

While there were more attendees Saturday, McSweeny said the rain did not deter plenty of families from coming on Mother’s Day.

“A lot of moms requested to come here,” she said.

Dusty’s Cellar, 1839 W. Grand River Ave., in Okemos, saw a large number of guests.

“We were very busy all day,” said Melissa Baldwin, dining room manager of Dusty’s Cellar.

The restaurant held its regular Sunday brunch, along with a few specials. However, the crowd was larger than previous years.

“We have a reputation of being a place to come for a relaxing brunch,” Baldwin said.

Sue Gamel, owner of Sue’s Hallmark, 501 N. Marketplace Blvd. in Lansing, opened more than an hour early on Sunday to accommodate shoppers.

“I probably could have opened (even earlier),” Gamel said. “There were a ton of customers (Sunday). We’re a last-minute society.”

The hard financial times didn’t seem to impact many customers, Gamel said.

The most popular item sold was cards, she said, but the store also sold a variety of gifts to customers of all ages.

“Given the economy, I think we turned out to have a good Mother’s Day,” she said. “We’re very lucky.”

Share and discuss “Mother's Day activities draw crowds despite rain” on social media.