Thursday, October 24, 2024

Tax-collecting student groups challenge draft

Several of MSU’s tax-collecting student groups are questioning a draft of an administrative ruling that defines financial practices groups must follow to continue collecting student taxes.

Any student group collecting taxes through the university, including the MSU’s two student governments, Residence Hall Association and ASMSU, that don’t meet the proposed practices could have its account frozen or its ability to collect taxes suspended.

RHA’s president Mark Dobson said although the document answered questions the group had about how MSU’s tax collection process works, the suggested practices could threaten the autonomy of the groups.

“It seemed to me while the aim was, in the spirit of the document, to protect the autonomy of student tax-collecting agencies, the document isn’t and wasn’t exactly doing that,” Dobson said. “In fact, I think it is threatening autonomy.”

Lee June, vice president for student affairs and services, said almost every financial practice listed in the document already exists.

“Basically, all are existing practices or things we feel we need to implement to be in compliance with the university’s procedures on these types of matters,” June said.

Michael Leahy, ASMSU Student Assembly chairperson, said several parts of the document encourage financial responsibility, but the group is concerned by the current language of the ruling.

“The things that bother me is some of the different things that affect our ability to make our own decisions and how that will play out if our decision doesn’t agree with the university,” Leahy said.

June said the proposed financial practices stem from several discussions with MSU’s administrative offices, including MSU’s Office of the General Counsel, the Internal Audit Department and the Controller’s Office.

“Any organization examines its procedures after X number of years,” June said. “We always want to make sure we are doing things as efficiently and effectively as possible.”

The State News, which collects a student tax each semester, will not be affected by the drafted ruling because it already practices the accountability measures, said Marty Sturgeon, the paper’s general manager.

Groups affected by the changes will meet with June and Denise Maybank, associate vice president for student affairs and services, to give feedback on the document and offer possible revisions, June said.

“Once we get all the feedback, then we’ll look at whether we decide we need to do further revisions before the final document is put into effect,” June said.

Share and discuss “Tax-collecting student groups challenge draft” on social media.