Baseball team looks to put it all together to close the season

David Grewe has what I would imagine to be an exciting problem on his hands.

Grewe, the MSU baseball coach and one of those great guys who you hate to see lose, has a team of studs who sometimes play like duds.

The Spartans (14-21 overall, 4-11 Big Ten) have a team that looks, on paper, like they should be competing for a top position in the Big Ten. They have veteran leadership and some outstanding young talent. The problem for them has been putting it all together.

The question for the rest of the season is which way they’ll go. Grewe has admitted that his guys tend to perform better in warm weather. That makes sense — baseball is a warm-weather sport. They performed well in the south in nonconference games, and since the temperature has been rising, so have the MSU runs per game.

Funny, though, the pitching has been the more dependable thing for the team and as soon as the bats begin to heat up, the arms lag a bit. Granted, a 52-14 four-game combined thumping from Michigan last weekend really hindered any strides MSU was making.

I hate to make an argument without actually making an argument, but this baseball team really has the potential to thrive or flop. Already this season, the team has looked like world beaters in a win against perennial powerhouse Rice, but also has resembled a high school baseball team in routs by U-M and disappointing performances against MAC teams.

From top to bottom, every player in the Spartans’ starting lineup can contribute. They have great fielders in guys like Dennis Jones and Brandon Doherty. Kyle Day can mash with the best of them and is (literally) an everyday player, no matter where you stick him. The Roof brothers are examples of Grewe’s outstanding recruiting ability. Chris Cullen, who unfortunately is departing after this season, has grown into one of the most feared starters in the Big Ten.

Grewe can only hope his team puts together a run to finish this season as it did last. Last season, MSU swept Northwestern and took three from Ohio State as part of a 10-3 record in its last 13 contests. But in the last series against Illinois, MSU fell just short — an 8-7 loss in Champaign to the Fighting Illini kept the Spartans out of the Big Ten Tournament and left without a chance to make any noise in the postseason.

This year, Grewe admits his team is head and shoulders above the ball club from last year. Hopefully that means they have what it takes to make it over the hump.

As the Spartans continue their play into what will be summer vacation for many students, they’ll have the opportunity to focus on their games. Final exams will be finished, the weather will be ideal for baseball and the team should be poised to make another run similar to last season’s.

Joey Nowak is the State News men’s basketball reporter. E-mail him at nowakjo2@msu.edu

Share and discuss “Baseball team looks to put it all together to close the season” on social media.