Wednesday, October 9, 2024

Fitness regime combines dance, exercise

Alice Townley dances during a Nia session Thursday. It was Townley’s second time taking a Nia class with instructor Barb Starling.

When learning the Nia Technique, no pain is gain.

The technique blends mind, body and spiritual expressions with dance fitness.

It’s a new class offered through Hannah Community Center.

“You can get a workout at your own level,” said Barb Starling, a certified Nia instructor. “What it’s all about is the pleasure of movement and finding health in movement.”

Nia literally invites its participants to feel free while they work out.

Nia was started 25 years ago by Carlos and Debbie Rosas, a Californian couple looking for a gentle fitness regimen that healed the body.

They incorporated martial arts such as t’ai chi and tae kwon do with modern dance and healing techniques such as yoga.

Starling is a white-belt instructor and has taught classes for about two years.

Although her class sizes range from four to 11 participants, she recently requested a larger room at Bailey Community Center, 300 Bailey St., to accommodate her constantly moving group.

The exercise is done barefoot to rhythmic music of all varieties.

Starling prefers uplifting, fast-paced world music and counts Angelique Kidjo as a favorite when doing Nia.

The tunes, along with low light provided by strands of twinkling lights lining the walls, help Starling provide a welcoming atmosphere.

“The mood that I try to set is to relax, have fun and enjoy your body and have a good time,” she said.

During the hour-long class, Starling introduces a focus and intention for the class, such as range of motion, with the goal of improving flexibility and mobility in new ways.

Starling encourages her students to modify moves — everything from twists, turns and shoulder tilts to “tail wags” and hip gyrates — to their own level of comfort.

“Just keep moving,” she said to a group of students Thursday night. “Welcome the wobble, it’s good for core strength.”

DeWitt resident Julie Meyerle discovered Nia at a health seminar at Lansing Community College and said the technique adds variety to her fitness regimen, which includes cardio workouts and sets on an elliptical machine.

“I have fun just moving,” she said. “It’s not so hard on your body I love to dance.”

Share and discuss “Fitness regime combines dance, exercise ” on social media.