Wednesday, October 23, 2024

Filing taxes can be hassle-free

For Tom Rayman, filing his tax return form for the first time meant seeking help from his parents.

“It was just difficult discerning what everything was and how to interpret it for the first time,” the criminal justice junior said.

“Withholding tax” and “tax deduction” are terms that might seem mind-boggling for students with the new responsibility of handling their own taxes, but MSU professors and local accounting professionals said it doesn’t have to be a painful process.

“Most students have pretty straightforward tax deductions,” said Ed Outslay, an accounting professor. “There isn’t too much to worry about.”

As students begin to receive W-2 forms from employers, sticking to the basics should help the process run smoothly.

“Probably the No. 1 problem for first-time students is knowing if they can be claimed by their parents,” said William Boss, a certified public accountant who operates in East Lansing at William E. Boss & Associates.

A call home should settle the matter, and Boss said the most common errors for first-timers generally result in a slowdown of processing.

Outslay said students should double check their final December pay stub with the W-2 form to make sure the numbers match.

“It’s always a good idea to check your work,” he said. “It’s not common, but every year there’s somebody who’s got an incorrect W-2.”

Aside from checking the form itself, paying attention to the numbers can save a great deal of hassle.

“The usual thing is people mistype their Social Security number or the name doesn’t exactly match the name on the Social Security card,” said John Hunt, an East Lansing accountant.

Filling out tax return forms online can help correct some of those common errors, and accounting professionals said the online version provides more interactivity and greater accuracy.

“Doing it electronically is so easy today,” Outslay said. “You don’t have to know too much about taxes when you go online.”

Issues such as working multiple or out-of-state jobs can complicate the process, but Outslay said students should be fine as long as they act in a timely manner.

“The earlier you get it in, the sooner you’ll get your refund back,” he said. “It can take a lot longer to get your refund if you wait.”

Share and discuss “Filing taxes can be hassle-free” on social media.