Wednesday, July 3, 2024

Explanations of why people go vegan vary

Eating based on your ideals isn’t always easy.

According to Vegan.org, a vegan is a person who “chooses to avoid using or consuming animal products. While vegetarians choose not to use flesh foods, vegans also avoid dairy and eggs.” Because of this, vegans have to avoid items vegetarians normally wouldn’t, including many baked goods.

Groups such as MSU’s Students Promoting Animal Rights advocate veganism as a means of being kinder to animals. But it’s not the only reason people choose to become vegan.

Philosophy senior Brian Murphy has been a vegan for two years.

While stopping animal cruelty in the form of factory farming was one reason why he decided to give up all animal products, it was only a small part of why he chose the lifestyle.

“You sort of choose to support things with what you buy,” he said. “I choose not to support factory farming and most kind of large corporations. It’s a political thing.”

Murphy also said choosing to be a vegan can be extremely eco-friendly. He views cattle farming as expending large amounts of resources that can be better used elsewhere. By not eating beef or using products made from a cow, he thinks he’s doing his part to solve the energy problem.

Vegans standing for their beliefs even impress those who don’t necessarily agree with them.

Enology and viticulture senior Michael Rizik wouldn’t ever become a vegan — he doesn’t view eating meat as being morally wrong as long as it’s done humanely — but he shows admiration for those who do follow the lifestyle.

“It’s somewhat noble,” he said.

While choosing a vegan diet may cut down on food options, it doesn’t mean being less healthy.

“Any diet — except weight-loss ones — can be healthy,” said Ronda Bokram, a registered nutritionist and the dietitian on staff at Olin Health Center.

That doesn’t mean vegans can be lax on monitoring what they eat.

Vegans must be sure to replace certain nutrients that other people get from eating meat and animal products. One nutrient vegans should be very aware of is calcium, although it’s an easy problem to fix, Bokram said.

“You can get it just by drinking orange juice with calcium,” she said.

To Bokram, becoming a vegan is all about choice.

“It’s what works for you,” she said. “What are your reasons for you?”

One of the most difficult things for vegans is going out to eat. While campus is littered with restaurants that offer a wide range of food styles for students, not many cater directly to vegans.

“Eating out is hard,” said Murphy. “You have to make sure you pay attention to what you eat.”

Going out to eat for a vegan can be hard, but it’s not impossible. Several local eateries that people wouldn’t normally think of as vegan places have options for the budding vegan to enjoy.

Murphy cited several restaurants that include vegan-friendly options, including a couple people might not normally think of. BTB Burrito, 403 E. Grand River Ave., has cheap burritos that pass vegan muster, and Sushi Ya, 124 W. Grand River Ave., offers a vegan roll option. Murphy also recommended the falafel at Aladdin’s Delight, 4930 Marsh Road, Okemos.

Vegan students still eating at the dorm’s cafeteria also have options. University Housing’s Web site at www.hfs.msu.edu lists several vegan options — including Boca burgers and vegan chicken — students can choose depending on the cafeteria.

New vegans should be prepared to exercise some imagination in their meals.

“You have to be more creative in your food preparation,” said Bokram.

Murphy’s advice to converts is a bit more simple.

“Get a cookbook.”

Share and discuss “Explanations of why people go vegan vary” on social media.