Powerhouse Gym move is unfair to customers

If you are planning to work off the fat from mom’s fresh holiday cookies, the opportunity will be a little farther away than you think. In fact, you might burn more fat walking to the new Powerhouse Gym location than actually exercising there.

Powerhouse Gym closed its location at 435 E. Grand River Ave. on Wednesday and transferred all memberships to Atlas Gym, located at 4790 S. Hagadorn Road.

The gym will keep the name Powerhouse Gym despite the relocation. Rob Gregg, general manager for Atlas Gym, said his facility is larger and will have more room to accommodate members.

Powerhouse Gym could see a decline in their membership because it’s losing its prime customers — students. Although the gym is still honoring the contracts of about 1,800 Powerhouse Gym members at its new location, the gym refuses to give refunds to people who don’t have transportation to the new location.

When Powerhouse Gym was on Grand River Avenue, it was convenient for students because of its proximity to campus, and that convenience is now gone.

The fact that Powerhouse Gym will not be offering refunds to people who do not wish to use the new facility seems somewhat absurd. Making this move in the middle of the school year is inconsiderate to students, especially those with one-year memberships.

It would only be fair to refund members who will not be using Powerhouse Gym at its new location. Members could then take their refund and purchase a membership at a gym in a more convenient location.

Students who don’t have a car to commute to the Hagadorn Road location, like communication senior Whitney Geller will, have to switch to another gym on campus such as IM Sports-West.

If Powerhouse Gym knew at the beginning of the year that there was a possibility of relocation, it is a shame they still sold one-year memberships. Perhaps then some students would have only purchased a half-year membership or not purchased one at all.

Whatever happened to the days when businesses were most interested in serving their customers?

Powerhouse Gym is turning its back on a segment of customers who regularly look to exercise as both a hobby and a way to stay in shape. If the company isn’t focused on accommodating regular customers like most businesses, then the value it places on customer service is questionable.

The last, but not least, concern of this issue is the Powerhouse Gym employees. Let us just hope they have not lost their jobs from this abrupt move.

Ashley Hughey, an employee for Powerhouse Gym, said she was shocked about the relocation and was unsure if she would be hired back. You would think Powerhouse Gym would have given its employees a warning so that they would have time to find another job. But this again shows the gym’s shortcomings.

The days of taking three steps across Grand River Avenue to work up a quick sweat are over.

It will take fresh marketing to win back the hearts of Powerhouse customers for inconveniencing them.

Share and discuss “Powerhouse Gym move is unfair to customers” on social media.