MSU freshmen have faults, but potential

Sean Ely

The MSU men’s basketball team’s freshmen might not fly across the lane for NBA Jam-like dunks, dribble through defenders’ legs or consistently make ESPN’s Top Ten plays — but even without those attributes, they are living up to the hype.

They are the mortar holding together the bricks that are the Spartans’ returning players. They fill spots that were vacant last season — a fact that gives MSU basketball fans a smile from ear to ear.

Junior guard Travis Walton said he has become a more well-rounded point guard from watching freshman guard Kalin Lucas in practice.

As soon as Lucas started playing with the team’s veterans, the Spartans became an immediate fast-break threat. Lucas’ quickness is flat out impressive — yet devastating to the opposition.

Freshman guard Chris Allen is learning what his role on the team truly is after every practice and game. Allen’s release is something out of an instructional jump-shot video. His picture-perfect shot is what will help the Spartans in the Big Ten season.

If he can start making string music on a consistent basis, head coach Tom Izzo will have no choice but to give him more minutes.

Personally, I think Durrell Summers, a freshman guard, could jump out of Breslin Center if he wanted to. The kid is the definition of the word “athlete.” Unfortunately, he hasn’t proven that completely yet.

But as we start breezing through the Spartans’ schedule, the nation will feel the heat that Summers brings off the bench. He’s an electrifying player, and I can’t wait for him to show it.

One of the most important things to realize is the fact that the freshmen are not hesitant on the court whatsoever. They came into MSU knowing what was expected of them: to be a vital asset to the team immediately.

Sure, they will develop and mature, becoming even more outstanding, but Izzo said he is giving them freedom early on. He wanted them to wear State jerseys and give this team the boost it needed.

Sean Ely is a State News men’s basketball reporter. He can be reached at elysean@msu.edu.

Share and discuss “MSU freshmen have faults, but potential” on social media.