MSU alumnus donates Rosa Parks' letters to MSU Museum

Parks

History won’t let us forget what Rosa Parks did on a bus 52 years ago in Montgomery, Ala. But Gregory Reed doesn’t want anyone to forget what she did with the rest of her life, either.

Reed, an MSU alumnus and Parks’ attorney and friend, donated a collection of letters Parks exchanged with hundreds of children to the MSU Museum, which officials plan to display by July 2008.

Reed said his decision to donate the letters was made to perpetuate Parks’ legacy for individuals in this generation.

“I recognized that words of individuals like (Parks) can be buried for a number of years if someone doesn’t come forth to highlight their contributions to a society,” Reed said. “When we don’t do those things, a generation can struggle until someone comes forth.”

MSU Museum Director Kurt Dewhurst said the letters will first be displayed in a touring exhibit alongside children’s letters written to former South African President Nelson Mandela.

“It’s a really remarkable opportunity for global education,” Dewhurst said. “Two of the most important figures in human rights in the last century will be on display.”

The MSU Museum will collaborate with the Nelson Mandela National Museum in South Africa as part of an American Association of Museums’ international grant program, making MSU’s museum one of four museums in the U.S. to be awarded the grant.

Exhibits will tour in both countries under the title “Dear Mr. Mandela, Dear Ms. Parks: Children’s Letters, Global Lessons” and will present the parallel struggles for racial equality in both nations.

Dewhurst said he hopes the exhibit will open in South Africa by July 18 and begin touring in Michigan sometime afterward. When the touring exhibition is over, the museum will display the letters at a more permanent MSU exhibit, though the date is still to be determined.

Janeen Anderson, president of MSU’s Black Student Alliance, said she was happy about Reed’s decision to donate the letters to MSU.

“I think that it’s a wonderful thing,” Anderson said. “I will try to go see the exhibit when it is up and running. If I can’t attend, I will encourage others to attend in my place.”

The letters Parks exchanged with children were first published in a book co-authored by Parks and Reed in 1996 and covers five themes: courage and hope, the power of knowledge and education, living with God, pathways to freedom and making a difference.

Reed hopes the exhibits will help break down barriers people have when they don’t understand one another.

“There’s only one world,” Reed said. “We as a people treat it as if it’s divided, and that comes from not respecting one another.”

Dewhurst said Reed’s contribution was one of the most significant donations the museum has had, and he stressed how grateful his staff was to Reed.

Reed said he was just happy to be able to give something back to his alma mater.

“I recognize that the work done by the school has been significant, and I wish to be a part of that,” Reed said.

Share and discuss “MSU alumnus donates Rosa Parks' letters to MSU Museum” on social media.