Wednesday, May 1, 2024

Icy, snowy sidewalk fines expensive, necessary

The first snow of the season has fallen, and it’s likely a few people have as well. Hours of raining sleet and wet snow during the weekend blanketed sidewalks with slush and ice — especially in residential areas, where many renters and homeowners are responsible for shoveling snow and salting walkways around their houses or apartments.

East Lansing residents need to make sure they shovel and salt in a timely manner, if only to avoid fines. Snow must be removed within 24 hours of snowfall and ice within 12 hours of forming, and anyone who fails to do this can receive a civil infraction, enforced by Parking and Code Enforcement, that comes with an $85 fine.

Many rental companies take care of the sidewalks for their tenants, but such a service depends on the rental agreement. Tenants need to make sure they know the details of their rental agreements so they don’t get slapped with a fine after a weekend at home. All homeowners are responsible for keeping pathways clear. Students need to keep walkways clear during holiday breaks and can still be fined for not doing so if it snows when they’re gone for the weekend.

The fine can be steep for students on tight budgets. Icy walkways can be very dangerous, and walking through deep snow makes for some cold, wet feet and pant legs. Putting such a price on inaction assures people will take the time to clear the sidewalks in a timely manner.

East Lansing is a small college town and many students walk to work or class every day from neighborhoods north, east and west of campus. As the temperature drops and the streets become more treacherous, many students who traditionally ride bicycles, skateboards, mopeds or scooters to class will be forced to forgo their wheels in favor of their feet.

Of course, walkers can use common sense to avoid falls and injuries. If it just snowed or if roads are icy, it’s likely many people haven’t yet had the time to shovel and salt the sidewalks. Leave plenty of time to get to class and don’t try to walk too fast on icy ground. Try walking on the grass next to the sidewalk, which provides more traction, and take smaller steps.

Most importantly, wear appropriate footwear. Stilettos might look sexy but a sprained ankle doesn’t. Look for heavier, waterproof boots or sneakers with grooved soles for better traction. If you do fall, do it right — relax, try to fall on muscles instead of bones, since bruises heal quicker than broken bones, watch your head and drop whatever you’re carrying in order save yourself.

It would be nice for the city to use tax money to take care of the more heavily traversed walkways in the city, but until that happens students need to know their responsibilities and keep the city safe for pedestrians.

Shoveling and salting may be time-consuming, unpleasant chores, but the fines are too high to pay on a regular basis, and the maintenance is necessary. Every walker who doesn’t break an ankle this winter greatly appreciates the time and effort.

Share and discuss “Icy, snowy sidewalk fines expensive, necessary” on social media.