Friday, May 10, 2024

Games, water, can help to focus on finals

Colleen Maxwell

It’s the most dreaded time of the year — finishing finals in an attempt to pull off somewhat honorable grades while maintaining a social life and trying to stay sane.

Sure, you say you’ll start early and go into those exams with your confidence flying high. But let’s be real — most of us will be cramming until the wee hours of the morning.

So if you’re like me and will be starting studying for your 8 a.m. final the night before, here are a few quick tips to keep your eyes open and your mind fresh.

1. Caffeine

The most effortless trick for keeping those eyelids from drooping is to get a little caffeine in your system a few hours before crunch time. However, having coffee or another drink too close to the time you fall asleep can mess with your sleep schedule, so plan accordingly.

2. Set scheduled breaks

Study for an hour, take 15 minutes off. If you schedule time-outs from working, it provides a nice reward and something to look forward to.

Set an alarm to go off and do anything that will take your mind completely off studying.

3. Play games

Instead of reading and highlighting for four straight hours, study with a friend or make flash cards to keep from dozing off.

To keep things interesting, keep a tally of who gets the most answers right or place bets or how well you can do.

4. Switch study locations

Sitting in one environment for a while can be dull and make you a little sleepy. If you switch up your spot every few hours, you can make your surroundings change and keep your mind alert.

5. Dance

Adrenaline is one of the most natural ways to keep your body going, so work out or take dance party breaks during study time.

Not only will you feel better and be more awake, but it can help your memory stay clear.

6. Drink water

Taking sips of water or having a bowl of popcorn nearby is a good way to keep your body moving without having to get up out of your seat.

Test out ways to keep your senses alert.

7. Stay computer free

Try to stay away from your computer — unless you need it for study purposes — because it can be a big distraction.

TVs also can make your mind doze off, and a 30-minute program could turn into two hours of procrastination.

Colleen Maxwell is the State News lifestyle reporter. Reach her at maxwel79@msu.edu.

Share and discuss “Games, water, can help to focus on finals” on social media.