Best spots to get holiday dresses

It can define an evening. It can draw eyes or make jaws drop. It can start conversations, and it can fuel them.

It’s your dress.

New Year’s Eve is the perfect excuse to splurge on a dress or even stick to next year’s resolution to save your money.

Because when the ball drops at midnight, you should be worried about who you’re going to kiss — not your dress.

Costs less than a nice dinner

Forever 21 located at 3017 Preyde Blvd., in Eastwood Towne Center, is a fashion staple when it comes to dresses, especially cheap ones. The glam girl who wants to go all out can scoop up the Sequin Racerback Dress for $34.80. The sleeveless dress is striking and, unlike most inexpensive sequined duds, the sequins are even on the back of the dress.

The dress is cheap enough to allow you to buy accessories too. Top off the fierce look with countless metal bangles. Think of it as a modernized version of Madonna from the ’80s.

Save your money

As it gets closer to New Year’s Eve, you’ll find that many major department stores will offer holiday sales for dresses. Macy’s is the best for these dress clearances, where you can find a $79 dress on sale for $47.40.

The only problem with Macy’s is that its Okemos store, 1982 W. Grand River Ave., tends to get cluttered with high school girls looking for winter formal gowns. That’s where the Web site comes in handy — www.macys.com.

Empty your pockets

So this party you’re going to is “kind of a big deal.” This is where Cache Luxe steps in. This store has it all — from evening gowns to quaint tea-lengths, strappy sandals to bold wedges. With an online sizing guide, all of this is just as easy to access on the store’s Web site, www.cache.com.

The price range at Cache Luxe is its main downfall. The Black Chiffon Rhinestone Empire Strapless with Full Bodice is voguish and serene — and should be for the price of $358. You’ll look like you just stepped off the set of “Gossip Girl,” so you better have a date just as alluring as Chache Crawford. With your dry checking account, you won’t have cash to pay for anything.

Of course, Cache Luxe has dresses that won’t make it look like you’re trying too hard. The Paisley Print Multi Panel Dress is hippie chic at its best, with varying patterns that act as a visual feast for your eyes. The dress, of course, runs for a steep $318, which is a pretty intense price for the “free spirit” that would gravitate to this dress.

Share and discuss “Best spots to get holiday dresses” on social media.