Wednesday, May 1, 2024

Author misinformed of Ron Paul's candidacy, platform

After reading Em Ketterer’s letter entitled Presidential hopeful Ron Paul’s views not for U.S. (SN 11/30), I was amazed at her ignorance of the doctor’s positions. Dr. Paul is still a licensed OB-GYN and has delivered more than 4,000 babies in his career. In this time, he has never seen a circumstance where an abortion was necessary for the woman’s or child’s health, and as a result, is personally against abortion.

That being said, as the Constitution does not give the federal government a right to ban or allow abortion, Dr. Paul’s opinion is that abortion is a state issue and if the constituents of the state are pro-choice, then that is their right. Dr. Paul would never sign a federal bill banning abortion as president, as the Constitution does not give him that right.

Another point of ignorance in Ketterer’s article is calling Dr. Paul’s views those of an isolationist. Dr. Paul is a noninterventionist – meaning he does not want to intervene in other sovereign nation’s affairs, just as we would not want nations intervening in our affairs. The true isolationists are those who impose sanctions on sovereign nations and claim moral superiority to “lesser” countries. These are the people that are isolating our country from the rest of the world and increasing hate toward America.

Before bashing Dr. Paul’s views, I suggest you read his volumes of articles and books (A president who actually writes about his views? How refreshing) available at RonPaulLibrary.org.

Eric Awerbuch

philosophy sophomore

Share and discuss “Author misinformed of Ron Paul's candidacy, platform” on social media.