ASMSU passes parking meter bill altering time limits

Pricey parking meters, some of which are limited to an hour of use, are a problem on campus, ASMSU representative Chris Wickman said.

Because of this, Wickman introduced a bill that was passed Nov. 29 by the Student Assembly.

“The bill calls for a maximum limit of two hours or more,” he said. “This eliminates the one- hour limit. Many classes are one hour and 30 minutes, or one hour and 50 minutes. It’s important to different students so they don’t have to leave and miss academics to feed the meter.”

ASMSU will now look into the process of enacting the bill with university officials.

Communications junior Laura Ricard said she has to get up and go feed the meters with more money in the middle of her hour and 50-minute classes.

“Most of the time I am lucky and I have a break that occurs around the time that I need to put money in, but it seems like a logical choice to up the time limit at meters to two hours,” she said.

Lynnette Forman, an office supervisor in MSU’s parking division, said meters that have limits are set to encourage turnover after that time. The meters are not meant for students to park there and continuously put money in the meter, she said.

Wickman also introduced a bill in regards to the accessible parking spaces for disabled students – and the recent addition of parking meters to those spots.

“This forces persons with disabilities to pay for parking as well as have an accessible placard in their rear-view mirror,” he said.

Social relations senior Courtney Bollman said the popping up of meters in handicapped spots is incredibly impractical.

“I don’t know how the university expects people who are disabled to have access to buildings on campus with only a limited number of handicapped parking and virtually no other parking after that,” she said.

Forman said disabled-person meters are now in the public areas as well, so visitors can park in them, which encourages turnover for visitors to park there as well.

Share and discuss “ASMSU passes parking meter bill altering time limits” on social media.