Friday, May 10, 2024

Medical marijuana proposal could appear on Mich. Ballot

A proposal to legalize medical marijuana could appear before Michigan voters in the 2008 election.

The Michigan Coalition for Compassionate Care recently turned in nearly 496,000 signatures to the Michigan Secretary of State, surpassing the minimum requirement of 304,101 signatures, said Dianne Byrum, spokeswoman for the coalition.

The Michigan Secretary of State must approve the validity of the signatures before the proposal appears on the ballot.

“We are confident we will qualify for the ballot,” Byrum said.

“People believe that seriously ill patients using medical marijuana under a doctor’s orders shouldn’t face the threat of arrest or jail.”

With doctors’ approval, patients could possess up to 12 marijuana plants, or 2.5 ounces, at one time, Byrum said. The patient would only be allowed to use the substance in a private residence.

“You can’t be on a street corner smoking marijuana and say it’s for medical purposes,” Byrum said. “It’s highly regulated.”

Ingham County Sheriff Gene L. Wriggelsworth said he doesn’t support the proposal.

If passed, he said it could require an increased police presence to make sure patients aren’t using the substance in public.

“It would be an enforcement nightmare,” Wriggelsworth said.

“It’s another way for cracking the door for a drug that no one says is good.”

The majority of Michigan residents support the use of medical marijuana, Byrum said.

According to a 2003 poll, 60 percent of the Michigan public supported medical marijuana use.

Bruce Mirken, spokesman for the Marijuana Policy Project, said medical marijuana is used to help treat nausea and increase appetite among AIDS and cancer patients.

“I think the evidence of its benefits are absolutely clear,” Mirken said.

“People wouldn’t risk the legal consequences of medical marijuana if it didn’t help them.”

Not everyone is convinced of the health benefits of medical marijuana, however. The American Medical Association says more research is needed before it takes a stance on the health benefits.

Medical marijuana is legal in 12 states including California, Mirken said.

Up to 200,000 people use medical marijuana in those states.

“It works better for some people,” Mirken said.

“That’s why it’s helpful to have different options available.”

Share and discuss “Medical marijuana proposal could appear on Mich. Ballot” on social media.