Sunday, April 28, 2024

Primary date costly, hurts voters, candidates

The Michigan Legislature finally got its wish, as the presidential primaries were bumped up to Jan. 15. Unfortunately for Michigan residents, the headaches that went along with making the switch cost state taxpayers millions of dollars, four of the Democratic candidates won’t appear on the ballot and no presidential candidate set foot in the mitten to campaign.

On Tuesday, the state Senate refused to place John Edwards, Sens. Barack Obama, D-Ill., and Joe Biden, D-Del., and New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson back on the ballot. The candidates withdrew from Michigan’s race after the state moved up the primary date from February, which violated the Democratic National Committee’s rules. Senate Democrats said they were prepared to vote the candidates back on the ballot in time for the January primary, but the state was threatened by a possible lawsuit from Obama if Michigan went ahead and put his name on the ballot, said Matt Marsden, spokesman for Senate Majority Leader Mike Bishop, R-Rochester.

While the principle of sticking to the rules of the DNC is clear, candidates are hurting themselves by refusing to appear on the ballot and hurting Michigan voters by not offering them the choices they deserve. A candidate has to apply to be considered as a write-in, and so far no Democratic candidate has done so in Michigan, which means a write-in vote for Edwards or Obama won’t be considered. Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-N.Y., Mike Gravel, Rep. Dennis Kucinich, D-Ohio and Sen. Chris Dodd, D-Conn. all remain on the ballot. Since the top three candidates for the presidential bid are Clinton, Obama and Edwards, the latter two are essentially handing Michigan’s vote to Clinton.

But the blame can’t fall hardest on the Democrats who refuse to appear on the ballot Obama, Edwards, Biden and Richardson are only doing what they think is right and staying true to the DNC. No, the real problem lies with the Legislature’s decision to push the primary up in the first place. Michigan lawmakers erroneously believed moving up the state’s primary would make the candidates campaign harder in the state, which would mean they cared more about the state’s issues. However, candidates campaign hard in Iowa and New Hampshire for a few weeks or months but don’t necessarily take to heart the unique issues of either state once in office.

Michigan has more electoral votes than New Hampshire and Iowa combined, and theoretically the presidential candidates from each party will be more concerned with winning the most populous states.

Michigan spent too much time, money and effort to move up the state’s primary election date for no real gain. This is just another example of the state Legislature making poor, unnecessary decisions that prove the ineffectiveness of the state’s lawmakers.

Republicans in Michigan have nothing to worry about, since all of the party’s presidential candidates remain on the state’s ballot. The people who lose are the Obama, Edwards, Biden and Richardson supporters and grassroots campaigners here. This may be their only chance to support their favored candidates with a vote, and if none of these candidates sweep the rest of the nation’s primaries, these dedicated supporters in effect wasted their time. Thanks a lot, Michigan.

Share and discuss “Primary date costly, hurts voters, candidates” on social media.