Obesity problem rampant in U.S.

Liz Kersjes

The U.S. today is a model of conspicuous wealth gone wrong — our culture is characterized by large cars, big-screen TVs and growing waistlines. While statements could be made about our overall consumption patterns, Thanksgiving is approaching and most people in the U.S. are gearing up for one of the laziest days of the year — complete with copious amounts of food, making this the perfect time to address our nation’s out of control eating habits.

Now don’t get me wrong, I love Thanksgiving. After all, what could be better than getting together with family, eating way too much and watching the Detroit Lions play? Overeating on Thanksgiving is pretty forgivable. It’s a national holiday, after all. The real trouble comes when people turn such excessive indulgence into a lifestyle. What we eat and how much has obvious detrimental side effects, yet instead of changing the source of the problem, we invest money in easy fixes like fad diets or weight-loss pills.

People in the U.S. are fat and getting fatter. In 1990, no state in the U.S. had an obesity rate higher than 15 percent. In 1998, no state had a an obesity rate less than 10 percent, but no state had a rate higher than 25 percent. In 2006, however, only four states had a prevalence of obesity less than 20 percent, and in two states, Mississippi and West Virginia, at least 30 percent of the residents were clinically obese, according to a report titled “U.S. Obesity Trends 1985-2006” by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Today, nearly two-thirds of people in the U.S. are overweight.

Even childhood obesity is on the rise — about one-third of U.S. children are overweight, according to the annual National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey by the CDC and Prevention. In 2006, 25 million U.S. children and adolescents were overweight or almost overweight. Childhood obesity can be devastating — the extra weight can cause health problems that affect the child for life, like respiratory problems, circulation illnesses and joint disease, not to mention the social and emotional abuse these children face.

Advertising for sugary, fatty foods are aimed at children, some of the food and drink industry’s biggest customers. A recent study by the Kaiser Family Foundation found half of all ads aimed at children and teenagers were promoting food, and children ages 2 to 7 now see 12 food ads a day on average.

The Federal Trade Commission and the Department of Health and Human Services teamed up and pressured food and drink companies to dramatically change their advertising techniques to kids. Twelve major companies, including McDonald’s, PepsiCo and General Mills, responded by creating the Children’s Food and Beverage Advertising Initiative to limit marketing to children under 12.

Still, a recent study by the Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine found preschool-age children prefer the taste of regular foods when they’re wrapped in McDonald’s packaging.

For adults as well as children, the causes for such dire, growing problems are simple. People in the U.S. eat too much of the wrong types of food. It’s simply too easy to drive to a fast-food restaurant and grab a 1,000-calorie “meal” without ever getting out of the car. In our culture of cars and commuting to work, we also get far less exercise than our bodies need.

The health implications of being overweight and obese are disastrous for adults, too. Conditions like hypertension, heart disease, stroke and type-2 diabetes, serious diseases that kill many people, have all been linked to obesity.

Our eating habits and lack of exercise are a bit understandable — we live in the richest nation in the history of nations. Unlike most other civilizations before us and many modern-day nations, most of us won’t have to work a day to get food. Animals instinctively overeat when there’s an abundance of food to protect against potential future shortages. The problem is our wealth and culture of convenience creates a perpetual state of abundance, with very few people ever facing serious shortages.

Still, overeating to the point of permanent health problems is irresponsible and inexcusable. Do we really want to be the first generation of people in the U.S. whose life expectancy is shorter than our parents’? Because if we don’t get our act together and start eating less and exercising more, that’s exactly where we’re headed.

Liz Kersjes is the State News opinion writer. Reach her at kersjese@msu.edu.

Share and discuss “Obesity problem rampant in U.S.” on social media.