Friday, May 24, 2024

Merchant inks 2 in first recruiting class at MSU

MSU head coach Suzy Merchant officially announced her first recruiting class as a Spartan on Sunday. The nationally ranked Spartans signed two players to National Letters of Intent to add to the 2008-09 season roster. Looking for depth and size, Merchant did not have to go far, as she answered with the additions of Ohio natives Porsche Poole and Courtney Schiffauer.

Porsche Poole

Position Guard

Height 5-foot-8

Hometown Canton, Ohio

Rank No. 29 shooting guard by Collegiate Girls Basketball Report

Stats averaged 18 points and 4.5 rebounds a game during junior season

Merchant “Porsche is really good in transition and the open court. The thing that makes Porsche special is that she truly is a triple-threat — she can get to the rim, she has a pull-up jump shot and she can shoot threes.”

Interesting fact Poole attends the same high school, McKinley High School, as former Spartans Eric Snow and Percy Snow, as well as current men’s basketball player Raymar Morgan.

Courtney Schiffauer

Position Forward

Height 6-foot-1

Hometown Boardman, Ohio

Rank No. 58 small forward by Collegiate Girls Basketball Report

Stats Averaged 25 points a game during junior season

Merchant “Courtney is a face-up post-player out of the 4 position that can really create off the dribble. Her biggest attribute is that she’s a scorer — she finds a way to score. She’s athletic, has a big body, moves and runs really well. She’s a hard-working, tough blue-collar player that I think every team needs.”

Interesting fact Schiffauer split her time between three sports in high school — volleyball, track and basketball.

Share and discuss “Merchant inks 2 in first recruiting class at MSU” on social media.