Innovations: Professor studies educational technology

Jackson

From music players in cell phones to the vast expanses of the Internet, technology has changed the way people go about their lives.

It also has brought about a new type of learning for children. That’s where Linda Jackson, a psychology professor at MSU, has focused her research.

Jackson’s new project, Children and Technology, which began in December 2005, is studying the effects of all Information Technology on the learning process.

“We are looking at all kinds of technology, using mostly kids age 12. We’re looking at the Internet, e-mail/IM, cell phones and video games.” she said.

Her focus has been on the digital divide, the phenomenon caused by lower-income families not having the same type of high-tech learning opportunities as families that are better off.

“These children are not going to have the same opportunity as the upper-middle class kids, and this could lead to a serious academic disadvantage for them,” she said.

Jackson’s previous research, the HomeNetToo project, studied the benefits of home Internet use for low-income children.

She found that greater Internet use was associated with higher scores on the MEAP reading test and higher GPAs.

Jackson said she was drawn to the research by her fascination with technology and her belief that it can transform how people learn. Initially, she didn’t get into psychology.

“My undergraduate was genetics. I got into psychology gradually, prompted by my interest in how ‘ordinary’ people learn and behave in their day-to-day lives,” she said.

A native of Staten Island, N.Y., Jackson received her Bachelor of Science degree in genetics and a Master of Arts degree in teaching science education from Cornell University. She later received her Master of Arts degree and a doctorate in psychology at the University of Rochester.

Shortly after receiving her doctorate, Jackson came to MSU as an assistant professor in the Department of Psychology and has been on the staff since. She said the excellent faculty in the psychology department is what drew her to the university.

“I like watching (the students) learn and grow from their learning experiences,” Jackson said.

When she’s not working on the project, Jackson said she tries to spend as much time as possible with her spouse, her two children and her two yellow labs, Mugsy and Molly. She also enjoys working out, reading and traveling.

Jackson said she hopes her research will help decipher the effects of Information Technology on the development of children.

“I do think Information Technology has the potential to augment human performance,” Jackson said. “But we need to get more creative about the technology we develop and how it is used, especially by children and youth.”

Share and discuss “Innovations: Professor studies educational technology” on social media.