Friday, May 24, 2024

Ingham County ponders increase in scope of 2002 smoking ban

Lansing — Ingham County community members were invited to speak out Monday night in a public hearing about the proposed amendment to the existing 2002 smoking ban.

The proposed smoking amendment would prevent secondhand smoke from traveling into nonsmoking areas of restaurants and bars, said Curtis Hertel, a member of the Ingham County Board of Commissioners.

The board’s Human Services Committee scheduled the public discussion to gauge the county’s sentiment over the amendment. A definite date to act on the amendment has not been decided.

“Secondhand smoke is currently able to travel,” Hertel said. “Over time, (the amendment) would prevent restaurants from allowing that to happen.”

Newer restaurants would be equipped to handle the smoke, while older restaurants would renovate their facilities, he said.

David Gam, owner of Irish Pub and Grill, 1910 W Saginaw St., in Lansing, said the ban would have a detrimental effect on many businesses in the county.

“I must continue to provide the atmosphere my customers demand, or I’ll be out of business,” Gam said. “Alcohol consumption and smoking go hand-in-hand — they do, it’s a fact.”

The Irish Pub and Grill has installed equipment to make the environment more smoke-friendly, such as smoke eaters and ceiling fans. The five smoke eaters in Gam’s restaurant totaled $3,000, and the six ceiling fans were about $600, he said.

Other community members are concerned about individual rights. According to the Surgeon General’s warning for cigarettes, secondhand smoke is a known cancer-causing agent, said Matt Phelan, campaign coordinator for the American Cancer Society Great Lakes Division.

“There is no safe way to take harmful chemicals out of smoke-filled air,” Phelan said. “No one should have to choose between a paycheck and their health.”

Lance Binoniemi, the government affairs director of Michigan Licensed Beverage Association, also said he thinks banning smoking would have a negative effect in Ingham County.

“Smaller, individually owned businesses are going to have a hard time complying with the law. It’s also going to discourage new business from coming into the area,” Binoniemi said.

Staff writer Ashley A. Smith contributed to this article.

Share and discuss “Ingham County ponders increase in scope of 2002 smoking ban” on social media.