Saturday, May 18, 2024

Hate crimes fall at MSU but Mich. still ranks 3rd

For the third consecutive year, the FBI has ranked Michigan third in the nation for the number of hate crimes, continuing a five-year upward trend of hate-related incidents in the state.

With 653 total hate crimes in 2006, Michigan trailed California and New Jersey — which reported 1,297 and 759, respectively — as the nation’s largest hotbed for hate crimes.

Of Michigan’s 653 hate crimes, nearly 75 percent were race-related, about 10 percent were motivated by religion and roughly eight percent were based on sexual orientation or ethnicity.

According to the FBI’s report, MSU had one reported hate crime, which was ethnically motivated. Three hate crimes at MSU were reported in 2005 and two in 2004.

While the ranking casts Michigan in a negative light, some states did not submit complete numbers — including Alabama, Georgia, Indiana, Louisiana and Mississippi.

Still, Trevor Coleman, director of communications for the Michigan Department of Civil Rights, said the state is continuously importing extreme views on racism and other forms of discrimination.

“Michigan has that reputation around the country as a place where these are issues that have to be grappled with,” Coleman said. “When it comes to issues of hate, there’s a culture here that attracts people.”

Coleman said the rising influx of neo-Nazi and Ku Klux Klan supporters, and the propensity for segregated communities have contributed to Michigan’s atmosphere of hate.

The FBI report comes less than a week after four nooses were found in a Central Michigan University classroom, garnering national media attention.

In response to the display, the Michigan Legislative Black Caucus has scheduled a press conference for Nov. 27 at the state’s Capitol.

“I am incensed that in 2007 we’re having this kind of attitude,” Rep. Brenda Clack, D-Flint, said of the incident. “You can hear the undercurrent. This is a topic that needs to come to the forefront.”

Clack, the caucus’ chairwoman, said forums need to be held on campuses to encourage students to voice their opinions and concerns regarding race relations.

While state statistics and the CMU hate crime have captured the attention of state legislators, Bashir Hakim, a member of the Muslim Students’ Association of Michigan State University, said MSU’s campus fosters relatively few hate crimes.

“Right now, it’s not out of hand,” the psychology and premedical sophomore said. “A few years ago, we may have been on the fringe of it. I know a few people that have had words said to them, but nobody’s ever been very abusive.”

Share and discuss “Hate crimes fall at MSU but Mich. still ranks 3rd” on social media.