Former E.L. mayor set to travel world

Somewhere during his hike up Tanzania’s Mount Kilimanjaro, his trek through Peru’s Machu Picchu or his half-marathon jog through Antarctica, Sam Singh said he hopes he will quench his thirst for new culture.

East Lansing’s former mayor will begin a sabbatical in January, embarking on a 16-month journey through all seven continents and more than 25 countries.

“It’s been a dream of mine for at least 20 years,” Singh said. “I never thought I’d be in the place to do something like this, and I didn’t think I’d have the guts. After 12 years of working with the city and 10 years of working for the Michigan Nonprofit Association, I knew I wanted to open up a new chapter.”

During his travels, Singh will work with nonprofit associations, such as Habitat for Humanity, to help them develop their firms.

He’ll keep friends and family abreast of his whereabouts by blogging about his journey on his new Web site at www.singharoundtheworld.com. Singh announced his future plans to about 100 people Thursday during an honorary reception organized by city officials at Hannah Community Center, 819 Abbot Road.

When Singh returns to East Lansing following his trip, he said he’ll resume his work as a career consultant, and perhaps his work in public policy.

“If the right position in the Legislature or another office comes up, I’ll definitely take a look at it,” he said. “But that won’t be until a few years from now.”

Eight people, including Rep. Mark Meadows, D-East Lansing, and Mayor Vic Loomis spoke of Singh’s success during the reception.

Afterward, the City Council presented him with a ceremonial “Key to the City” and an East Lansing city flag.

Singh’s future plans personify his character, Loomis said.

“It’s more than just traveling for Sam,” Loomis said. “He continually gives his time, talents and, quite frankly, his economic resources.

“You’re surprised in one sense that at this point in his career, he’s going to take a break to do this. But at the same time, you have to say, ‘You know what, I’m not surprised because that’s the type of person Sam is.’”

Meadows, who preceded Singh as East Lansing mayor, said he’s disappointed to see Singh’s departure from the city but is happy he will be able to realize his dream.

“East Lansing is the home base for both of us,” Meadows said. “Sam will be back.”

Share and discuss “Former E.L. mayor set to travel world” on social media.