Comedian has good chance at Minn. senate

Ryan Dinkgrave

I rarely follow politics in other states very closely, but there is a particularly interesting and unique race for the Senate developing in Minnesota. The incumbent, Republican Sen. Norm Coleman, is facing his first re-election bid since winning the seat of Democratic Sen. Paul Wellstone, who died with his wife and daughter in a plane crash 11 days before the 2002 election. Among the Democrats vying for the chance to go head-to-head with Coleman is a face that is relatively new to politics, but likely more familiar to many voters — comedian Al Franken.

Franken’s candidacy shouldn’t come as a surprise to anyone who has watched the former “Saturday Night Live” writer’s career over the past decade. In that time, he has made a living out of voicing his opposition to the politics and media of the right. This has included best-selling books such as “Rush Limbaugh Is a Big Fat Idiot” and “Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them,” and “The Al Franken Show” on the left-leaning Air America Radio network.

Franken’s political mind goes deeper than the commentary-plus-jokes flavor of those endeavors, however. A Harvard cum laude graduate, he has fared well thus far on the campaign trail and has impressed many with both his politics and his ability to raise money in an already expensive race.

Perhaps it is only natural that Minnesota, the same state that elected former professional wrestler Jesse Ventura governor in 1998 under the slogan “Don’t vote for politics as usual” would have Franken as a serious Senatorial candidate. The state does have a certain taste for political independence, as Minnesota’s arm of the national Democratic Party is called the Democratic-Farmer-Labor Party, or DFL. The citizens of Minnesota elected Wellstone, a leading progressive, to two terms before his untimely death just over five years ago.

Should Franken win the Democratic nomination, it is likely the legacy of Wellstone, who was a close friend of Franken, will come into play in the race against Coleman. Franken helped raise funds for Wellstone when the senator was running for his seat and holds him in great admiration.

Among the positions detailed on his campaign Web site, Franken notes his support for a bill to establish full mental health parity that was originally sponsored by Sen. Wellstone. The fact that Coleman, a die-hard supporter of the Bush administration’s policies, now sits in Wellstone’s former seat is a major motivation for Franken’s candidacy. Introducing himself to a crowd at a recent DFL fundraiser, he announced, “I’m Al Franken, and I’m gonna take down Norm Coleman.”

It is exactly this kind of bold and honest speech that is needed in the Senate and has been missing from many Democrats who are already there. Franken has kept the jokes to a minimum on the campaign trail, instead focusing on building his reputation as a knowledgable and caring candidate for public office, but I am confident that his ability to effectively deliver messages — whether they be jokes or very serious political statements — will be his greatest asset as both a candidate and a senator. On his Web site, in interviews and at public events, Franken has been emotional and direct in his statements, including his opposition to the war. Franken is critical of Coleman’s support for Bush’s war policies and refusal to investigate alleged fraud on behalf of military contractor Halliburton, and he has used emotional appeals to make this case to Minnesota voters.

To many, an emotional and honest Franken may seem out of character, but I think the reality is that he is a skilled communicator and a wise political mind. The Senate has its share of gifted politicians and experienced professionals, but few can claim the versatility and communicative ability that Franken can.

Whether he is making a heartfelt appeal to his Congress to support universal health care coverage or humorously balking at Bush’s suggestion that his 2004 election gave him a “mandate,” I think the honesty would be good for American politics. Franken’s candidacy is not a sure bet, as he still must get his party’s nomination, but all signs are suggesting that he will be a serious contender for the support of Minnesota voters.

I cannot help but be reminded of Franken’s “SNL” character Stuart Smiley, who would say, “I’m good enough, I’m smart enough, and doggone it, people like me!”

Ryan Dinkgrave is a State News columnist and a public relations graduate student. Reach him at dinkgra2@msu.edu.

Share and discuss “Comedian has good chance at Minn. senate” on social media.