Friday, July 5, 2024

Wiley responds after benching, Saint-Dic breaks Big Ten record

Freshman linebacker Greg Jones (53) comforts senior safety Nehemiah Warrick after he missed a tackle during the game against Ohio State on Saturday in Columbus, Ohio. Warrick had a total of 10 tackles, five of which were assisted by his teammates.

Columbus — Saturday’s 24-17 loss to No. 1-ranked Ohio State was a rebirth of sorts for junior free safety Otis Wiley.

Wiley, who started all 12 games last season, has been on the bench since the Oct. 6 48-41 overtime loss to Northwestern because of performance issues. But with an interception that he returned 54 yards for a touchdown to ignite the team and nearly picking up a fumble deep in Buckeyes territory, Wiley will make depth chart decisions difficult for the MSU coaching staff.

“Otis Wiley had a great week of practice,” MSU defensive coordinator Pat Narduzzi said. “He’s getting better every week. That was great for his confidence. He’s a super kid and I love him to death.”

It wasn’t easy for Wiley to see the love through the demotion.

He said he had trouble maintaining a positive demeanor in the past few weeks after coaches questioned his consistency and effort.

With senior strong safety Travis Key thriving as Wiley’s replacement, Wiley’s opportunities to prove himself became fewer and fewer. With his spirits somewhat low, Wiley turned to his spiritual side for a lift.

“Just being in practice, I’m not getting the reps I usually get, just sitting on the sidelines pondering, thinking of the blessings I have,” Wiley said. “God just kind of humbled me. I realized that I came here as a freshman with him and I can’t be here today without him.”

When Wiley got his chance at redemption, he knew he might only have one.

“We came for the walk-through Friday and I had a vision of an interception,” he said. “I was put in and knew I had to go out hard. I played like it was my last game.”

Fumblemaster

Senior defensive end Jonal Saint-Dic set the Big Ten record for forced fumbles in a season Saturday with his third-quarter strip of Ohio State quarterback Todd Boeckman. Saint-Dic set the record with his eighth forced fumble in just as many games.

The record-holder, though, had his milestone performance overshadowed by MSU’s loss.

“I got a record and everything, but we didn’t get a ‘W,’” Saint-Dic said. “I mean, it’s a moment to remember, but it’s also a moment of sorrow.”

Saint-Dic tied the record last week with his seventh forced fumble last week against Indiana.

Share and discuss “Wiley responds after benching, Saint-Dic breaks Big Ten record” on social media.