Friday, July 5, 2024

Prognosticators

Adam Zdruik
Journalism sophomore

MSU at No. 1 Ohio State

3:30 p.m. Saturday
TV: ABC

ZC: Oh boy. MSU has been waiting for a chance to prove itself, and it will get that chance on the No. 1-ranked team’s turf. As much as I want to pick the Spartans to win this one, and as much as I think Ohio State is simply No. 1 by default, it’s difficult to win on the road anywhere in the Big Ten. Prove me wrong, boys. Ohio State 37, MSU 30

JS: Tell me, who have the Buckeyes played so far this season? Minnesota, Northwestern and Purdue. Oh yeah, and they had a real test last week against Kent State. Yeah right. The Buckeyes have proved they can beat up on weak-to-mediocre competition. The way this season is going, they’re just going to be the next top-ranked team to fall to an underdog. MSU’s defense is well rested after twiddling their thumbs on the sidelines for most of the Indiana game. They’ll show up and so will Showtime, Sackmaster and Thunder and Lightning. MSU beat a top-ranked Ohio State team nine years ago, and they will do it again Saturday. MSU 31, Ohio State 24

EF: Two years ago when I was covering football, the Spartans’ season was crushed in Columbus after a botched “fast field goal” play. But that coaching regime is long gone, and while the Spartans are still going to have their struggles, another mishap like that one will surely never happen under the Dantonio regime. What does that have to do with this week’s game? Nothing, except that John L. Smith isn’t patrolling the sidelines anymore. I like the upset. MSU 23, Ohio State 19

AZ: Even though Ohio State is a 17-point favorite, MSU still has a chance considering the past two No. 1’s have been defeated in the previous two weeks. Anything can happen, and if the Spartan offense clicks as it has been lately, they will be able to penetrate Ohio State’s defense, which only allows a little over six points per game. However, Jim Tressel’s team will be prepared, especially at home. Ohio State 27, MSU 17

Illinois vs. No. 25 Michigan

8 p.m. Saturday
TV: ABC

ZC: OK, so I guess picking U-M to lose every week in prognosticators really doesn’t have an effect on the game’s outcome. But I’ve worked myself into so deep of a hole by picking the Weasels to lose that I can’t even claw my way out. No analysis needed — I’m just going to pick U-M to lose until I’m right. Illinois 27, U-M 20

JS: Time to start giving U-M some credit, they are capable of looking like the team they were predicted to be. There, I gave them credit. They’re still going to lose. Heisman hopeful Mike Hart may sit out with a sprained ankle, and it’s a well known fact the Wolverines are incapable of defending a dual-threat quarterback like Juice Williams. Illinois 21, U-M 17

EF: Maybe Michigan’s first two losses were more of a fluke than everyone thought? The Weasels have looked for real the past few weeks and ready to make a run at a less-than-stellar Big Ten conference. Illinois will be their next victim. U-M 27, Illinois 10

AZ: Illinois will not want this one to slip away in Champaign. However, Michigan is looking good after its win last week, and the Illini won’t have a chance until they find a way to stop the U-M offense. If the Wolverines can stop the run, this one may get out of hand, but I see Illinois putting up a fight. U-M 28, Illinois 20

Indiana vs. Penn State

Noon Saturday
TV: ESPN

ZC: If Penn State’s offensive line holds up against the Indiana pass rush, they can allow terribly mediocre quarterback Anthony Morelli to survive. If they don’t, it could be a long day for the Nittany Lions. Ultimately, though, Penn State’s defense will crush a Hoosier offense that couldn’t even surpass 200 yards against the Spartans. Penn State 30, Indiana 14

JS: Indiana has some major offensive issues to work out, and when you’re struggling to move the ball you don’t want to play Penn State – currently ranked second in the Big Ten in scoring defense and passing yards allowed. Penn State 38, Indiana 10

EF: Indiana equals not good. Penn State? Who knows what the Nittany Lions are, they’ve been plagued by horrid inconsistency this season. But Penn State is probably a little better than “not good.” Penn State 31, Indiana 13

AZ: This may be a repeat of Penn State’s beating of Wisconsin last week if Indiana cannot find a way to score. Penn State holds its opponents to 13 points per game, while Indiana is scoring 36 per game. Something will have to give and that most likely will be Indiana’s offense. Penn State 34, Indiana 16

Share and discuss “Prognosticators” on social media.