Friday, July 5, 2024

Parity in college football world proves that anyone can be beaten, ranking aside

Southern Cal. Louisiana State. West Virginia. Texas. Michigan. Florida. Wisconsin. Oklahoma. Virginia Tech. Louisville. Ohio State. California. Georgia. UCLA. Tennessee.

All these teams have one thing in common — they comprised the first 15 slots of the preseason Associated Press Top 25 poll. All but one have a loss.

MSU knows what’s happened in college football this season as it heads to Columbus, Ohio, to play undefeated and top-ranked Ohio State. It is the second meeting in a row between these two schools in which the Buckeyes were ranked No. 1, as they were last year when they beat the Spartans 38-7 in East Lansing.

MSU respects the Buckeyes, but this college football season has taught the Spartans something — every team is beatable.

“I think you can maybe point to one, two, three, four teams that stand above the rest, and even those have some losses,” MSU football head coach Mark Dantonio said.

“I mean, how does Oregon State beat (California) and lose to Cincinnati (in Cincinnati) by the amount that they lost? It just gives you the idea that there’s a lot of parity out there.”

Dantonio can speak from experience that “one” is merely a number, not a mark of invincibility.

In 1998, Dantonio was the MSU secondary coach under Nick Saban when the Spartans, who were 4-4 at the time, traveled to Columbus to play another No. 1-ranked Buckeyes team.

All the 28-point underdog MSU squad did in that game was score 19 unanswered second-half points to win 28-24.

But this is not 1998. The teams aren’t the same, so all Dantonio will do is use that game “as a motivational tool in the fact that you can get things done.”

Last year’s game against then-No. 1-ranked Ohio State also will serve as motivation.

After halftime, much of the green that filled Spartan Stadium left, leaving an overwhelmingly red residue — and a bad taste in the Spartans’ mouths.

And with Ohio State atop the national rankings once again, MSU wouldn’t have it any other way.

“It’s a real big thrill. They’re the No.1 team in the nation, that’s actually a perfect spot,” junior running back Javon Ringer said. “They’re the ones with a bulls-eye on their chests.”

The Spartans got something else off their chests by ending their two-game losing streak last week as they beat Indiana under the Spartan Stadium lights. This week they have to deal with lights of a different sort as media attention turns to Columbus and puts MSU in the limelight.

With more people watching, the Spartans will attempt to capitalize on one of their goals for the season — earning respect. And with the way this season has gone, defeating the No. 1 team isn’t outside the realm of possibilities.

“This year is the year of the upset,” senior defensive end Brandon Long said. “We’re a strong team, as strong as any. I really think we can go out there and beat Ohio State.”

Share and discuss “Parity in college football world proves that anyone can be beaten, ranking aside” on social media.