Fifteen months is too far away

Ryan Dinkgrave

If you’ve read some of my previous columns in this paper, you may have guessed that I am not the biggest fan of George W. Bush. I could list the reasons for this, but you are likely quite familiar with them, as two-thirds of the country already recognizes that he’s doing an awful job. Of course, the frightening part of that is that somewhere around 30 percent of the country thinks he is doing a good job, but that’s another story. As we watch the president stumble through the final eighth of his time in power and as spotlight-hungry presidential candidates claw for our attention, I find myself thinking that 15 months is far too long.

With more than a year until he can return to Texas to finish clearing that pesky brush, Bush is a lame duck president and the federal Legislature has been largely impotent as a result. While Bush has lost some support among his conservative base, and many of his top advisers have retired or resigned amid scandal, he still maintains enough muscle to keep things at a standstill.

He lacks the political support to move his own initiatives forward but wields enough power to prohibit progress by his opponents. With Bush in the White House, insufficient Republican support and some problems among their own party, the Democratic-controlled Congress has been unable to pass the legislation promised in the 2006 elections.

This unproductive divide is evidenced by an inability to significantly reduce U.S. involvement in Iraq, pass budget bills or achieve other goals set forth by the majority at the beginning of the current Congress. The longer the president opposes the position of the majority of the Congress and of the American people, more soldiers will continue go to Iraq but not return. The longer the president refuses to collaborate on legislation affecting America’s farmers and health insurance for children, the longer that families, and especially children, will suffer. For the citizens who need their government to take action now, 15 months is far too long.

As a diabetic, I am personally bothered by the prospect of waiting until a new president is in office before the U.S. fully supports the embryonic stem cell research that is expected to cure diabetes. Congress has twice passed legislation to expand federal funding for stem cell research, President Bush has twice vetoed it and Congress has twice been unable to override the veto.

The research that could be funded and the progress toward advancements in treatments and cures that could be made during the next 15 months will occur not in the United States but abroad. Worse, people with chronic illness who could benefit from U.S. support for these new developments will die during this time. Meanwhile, Bush will get 15 more months to sleep soundly in the White House, knowing that American scientists aren’t using any discarded cells for potentially life-saving research. For the millions who could benefit from this research, 15 months is far too long.

The campaign season for the 2008 presidential election started earlier than ever before, as a wide cast of confirmed and rumored candidates emerged from across the political spectrum. Because there is no incumbent president or vice president running in this race, the parallel primaries are wide-open elections in themselves. Currently, the manner and order in which primaries are conducted is at the center of attention and debate, as the first primaries are expected to be as early as January. The field of applicants for the presidency will then quickly wither until each of the two largest parties in the country has a single candidate.

The contest will then proceed into another eight or nine months of campaigning, sloganeering, mudslinging and baby kissing. I have a suspicion that by the time next November rolls around, most Americans will be utterly sick of the Democratic and Republican candidates.

While a lame duck sits at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave., and makes no progress, these two politicians will scurry about the nation promising the sun, moon, stars and the kitchen sink. For another 15 months, Americans will continue to die in Iraq, children will go without health insurance and medical scientists will sit idle in their labs.

For America, 15 months is far too long.

Ryan Dinkgrave is a State News columnist. Reach him at dinkgra2@msu.edu.

Share and discuss “Fifteen months is too far away” on social media.