Saturday, September 28, 2024

Construction causes concern

While developers inch closer to finishing Stonehouse Village III, students and businesses close to the project are bemoaning the inconvenience of the construction.

The Stonehouse Village III project involves the construction of a five-story, mixed-use building containing 36 residential condominiums and 122 parking spaces on Bailey Street between Grand River and Albert avenues.

The complex is being built adjacent to Insomnia Cookies, 603 E. Grand River Ave., and Haslett Arms Apartments.

“(The construction is) not loud, but it’s annoying because you can’t take this road to get to work,” said Kaityln Adrian, a sociology senior and an employee at Insomnia Cookies.

“Also, the parking is all gone over here. I’ve gotten three parking tickets because there’s nowhere to park.”

David Krause, a developer and partner in the project, said the construction should cease by next fall.

“We have a completion date which we’ve always had, which is August 2008,” Krause said. “Over the summer, we completed the infrastructure work which was relocating some of the sewer lines and water lines and things like that. Just last week, we put in the foundation for the building.”

In the near future, developers will begin installing the two-level parking structure. In June, the city voted to purchase the parking structure for $2.7 million upon its completion, said Dan O’Connor, East Lansing’s parking administrator. Most of the spaces will be allocated to residents in the building, but others will be available for public use.

The city made the financial investment because it anticipates getting a healthy fiscal return from its new downtown residents, said Tim Dempsey, East Lansing’s community and economic development administrator.

“Assuming that each unit is going to have at least two people living in it, we’re going to have at least 72 new people living downtown,” he said. “That’s a pretty big infusion into the downtown area. Those new residents represent people that are going to be shopping downtown and contributing to that local economic base.”

Most of the condominiums will contain two bedrooms and two bathrooms, as well as a balcony, bay window or patio. The condominiums will be primarily for the use of permanent residents, Krause said.

“The rules and regulations are extremely restricted in terms of how they can be used,” he said.

Jennifer Rogers, a resident of Haslett Arms Apartments, said she had to deal with noisy construction when she lived in The Oaks Apartments last year.

She said she didn’t know she was getting herself into a similar situation this year.

“I moved here thinking there wouldn’t be any construction,” the finance junior said.

“Our apartment is right there, so I can hear it all the time.”

Share and discuss “Construction causes concern” on social media.