Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Storm shakes up Lansing area

Downed trees and power lines were the result of a Thursday storm that lasted about 15 minutes in the East Lansing area.

When it was over, East Lansing resident Tom Wawitzke saw branches had fallen on power lines on his front lawn.

"My power is barely on because the line is just hanging three feet off the ground," Wawitzke said. "But my neighbor's line is down, and he doesn't have power."

The Lansing Board of Water & Light estimated 600 customers in the Lansing area were without power when the storm first hit, said Mark Nixon, communications director for Lansing Board of Water & Light.

Consumers Energy, which also supplies East Lansing customers with electricity, estimated 1,750 customers were without power in the Ingham County-Lansing area, said Mary Gust, representative for Consumers Energy.

The powerful storms and wind caused more commotion than actual damage in the city.

"We got a lot of calls because it was a strong wind and strong rain," East Lansing police Lt. Joseph Hines said. "There was very little that happened. One tree actually went down and fell against telephone lines, and (there were) reports of one or two cable wires (down)."

The scattered storms that had been developing were expected to approach the Lansing area, however, the storm surprised residents but was not severe enough to cause problems.

"There was one storm a little stronger than the others," said David Beachler, representative from the National Weather Service. "We were expecting gusts of 40 to 50 mph, just under a severe criteria, but it can still cause branches to come down."

In spite of the small storm that hit the area Thursday, East Lansing residents can expect a dry forecast for the upcoming week.

"We're getting into a dry period over the next five days, probably mid-to upper 70s and around the 80s during the middle of next week," Beachler said.

"For the short term, we're going to be dry."

Share and discuss “Storm shakes up Lansing area” on social media.