Saturday, September 28, 2024

Weather changes, prompt precautions

The sunshine and warmer than 60-degree weather that has blanketed Mid-Michigan during the past several days doesn't just mean spring is here.

It also means the possibility of severe weather.

This week marks Michigan's Severe Weather Awareness Week, which has been recognized since 1991 as a way to help the public prepare for natural emergency situations.

"We can't stop the weather, but we can mitigate the impact it has on our lives," said Sgt. Michael Perez of Ingham County Emergency Services. "In Michigan, the weather can change at the drop of the hat. That's why we tell people to prepare and pay attention."

Severe weather includes thunderstorms with high winds and hail, tornadoes and floods, and spring is the common starting time for such weather to occur, said David Beachler, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service station in Grand Rapids.

"Climatologically speaking, it can happen at any time, any day, any place, but it's generally concentrated in the spring and summer months," Beachler said. "You always want to have a plan in place in case of emergency."

No-preference freshman Lisa Reile said she doesn't prepare for severe weather and isn't concerned about the possibility of it happening.

"Not unless it's on the news or there's a tornado," Reile said.

But there are many ways people can prepare for the unexpected with little effort, such as purchasing a weather alert radio, having flashlights and a backup phone, and knowing where to take shelter or how to properly evacuate, Perez said.

"You can take the appropriate actions to protect your loved ones and yourself from harm," he said. "You need to be prepared and you need to be aware. Saving lives is the primary goal."

Share and discuss “Weather changes, prompt precautions” on social media.