Wednesday, October 23, 2024

U-M president faces MCRI

University of Michigan President Mary Sue Coleman speaks on Monday at the New Mount Calvary Baptist Church, 3800 W. Miller Road in Lansing, during a community dialogue to discuss access to higher education. The event gave Coleman an opportunity to give her stance on the Michigan Civil Rights Initiative and encourage diversity at U-M. After her speech, she opened the floor for questions from attendees, who included future students and alumni.

Lansing — As a result of the U.S. Supreme Court's decision to allow the consideration of race when admitting students, University of Michigan President Mary Sue Coleman visited Lansing yesterday, encouraging high school students to apply for colleges within the state.

Since lawsuits were filed against U-M because of the possible use of race as a factor to determine admission, the university has experienced a decline in applicants, particularly minorities.

"We experienced a significant drop around 2002-03 as the case became more visible and national," said Veronica Johnson, director of the University of Michigan-Lansing Service Center. "(The case) made people think it was too big a deal to apply, just as it was in Texas and California."

In 1996, courts eliminated the use of race or gender in determining admissions in Texas and California universities. Texas universities later changed admission policies to reflect the U.S. Supreme Court's decision after U-M's victory in 2004.

While most universities remain impartial on ballot issues in the upcoming November elections, President Coleman and U-M have stressed the importance of voting "no" on Proposal 2, also known as the Michigan Civil Rights Initiative, or MCRI, which would eliminate some affirmative action in Michigan.

"I feel very strongly about (the MCRI). The consequences would go far beyond a university issue. It would be bad for our state, and people here (at the rally) would agree," Coleman said.

Coleman encouraged students to ask her about anything they worried about concerning college, such as if they fit in or not. She expressed the importance of a university education and that U-M, similar to other universities, looked at a number of factors when admitting students.

"It's great that students see various options they have in higher education," said Lee June, vice president of student affairs and services. June, who is a member of the New Mount Calvary Baptist Church, where the rally was held, praised the community's efforts in exposing the options in higher education.

At U-M, freshman enrollment in 2003 for blacks was 410 but decreased in 2004 to 350 freshmen enrolled. MSU saw an increase of freshmen from 649 enrolled in 2003 to 651 in 2004, and that number significantly increased in 2005 to 701.

Johnson said it has taken U-M two years to rebound from its low applicant phase, and Coleman still feels it is imperative to stress higher education to minorities in areas like Lansing.

"She convinced me to apply. You always hear stories about U-M being too hard to get into," said Kamberly Smith, a Sexton High School senior, who attended the event. "They look at everything — classes and things you're involved in."

And while U-M saw a decrease in the number of women who applied and were admitted to the university, MSU saw an increase from 3,959 freshman women in 2003 to 4,106 in 2004.

"Demographics heightened during the early 2000s, and MSU has done a wonderful job of offering opportunities for students," said James Cotter, MSU admissions director. "It is really difficult to look at any one factor."

However, according to Johnson, U-M's admission battle led to a decrease in applicants to the undergraduate college and graduate schools.

"We won the case, but by then the damage was already done. Undergraduate admissions dropped for LSA (College of Literature, Science, and the Arts), the College of Engineering and the graduate schools," Johnson said.

The number of women admitted to U-M increased from 6,743 in 2004 to 6,941 in 2005. The case remained the same for minority enrollment, which increased for blacks, Hispanic Americans and Asian Americans.

"Because U-M fought so long and hard to keep affirmative action, we had to take a stand against the MCRI. If the MCRI passes in Michigan, it will continue across the country, and that is a loss for the country and the university," Johnson said.

However, Coleman stressed that with the Michigan economy changing and becoming a 21st-century economy, people will no longer be able to graduate high school and get jobs — it will be critical to receive a college degree.

"(Coleman) is talking about higher education, period — not just U-M, but all universities in Michigan," Johnson said.

Staff writer Holly Klaft contributed to this report.

Share and discuss “U-M president faces MCRI” on social media.