Paul Simon's newest album rich with activist tone

Rhymin' Simon has still got it.

The vocal delivery is still sharp as ever, and the lyrics are cleverly constructed on Paul Simon's latest album — "Surprise."

For the duration of the album, which was released on May 9, there's an overall sense of calm and almost passiveness floating through all 11 new tunes. Simon is reacting to the world around him, rather than attempting to change his environment.

The total sound is pretty consistent, with delicate guitar picking surrounded by wavy electronic rhythms. The renowned producer Brian Eno, who has worked with the Talking Heads and David Bowie, is the man behind the electronic reverberation.

At first, the electronic noises seem to overwhelm Simon's guitar and vocals, but after repeated listens, the interplay between Simon and electronic sounds makes more sense.

Because Simon has proven himself to be such a good musician in the past, it's hard to initially digest anything that would drown him out. But Eno's sound just needs some getting used to and works well with Simon's smooth delivery.

Concerning the lyrical content, the 64-year-old singer/songwriter is asking questions without worrying about forcing answers.

The first track — "How Can You Live In The Northeast?" — is made up predominately of questions. Inquiries about Hurricane Katrina and religion run through the soothing melody.

Simon says, "How can you build on the banks of a river when the flood water pours from the mouth? How can you be a Christian? How can you be a Jew? How can you be a Muslim, a Buddhist, a Hindu?"

Track 10 — "That's Me" — is the grooviest and catchiest tune on the album. The electronic noise slides into the background, while Steve Gadd and Robin Dimaggio add some interesting and intricate drumming parts.

The whole album has a wavy dream-like feel. "Surprise" is perfect driving music, riding with the top down, cruising down the California (or the Red Cedar River) coastline.

Overall, it's wonderful to hear a musician, getting older in age, who is willing to experiment with a new sound and do it well. Simon doesn't have anything to prove, but it's refreshing to see he's still turning out beautiful albums for his fans.

Share and discuss “Paul Simon's newest album rich with activist tone” on social media.