So many books so much time

Catch up on casual, fun reading during long summer months

In less than two weeks the nightmare of finals will be over. You will finally be able to cast off your stiff and boring textbooks and curl up with an entertaining novel by the pool or under a shady tree.

But what will you read? Don't fear, for The State News has done the research for you. Whether searching for a lighthearted beach read, an everlasting classic, a perfect book-club read or anything else, we have compiled a list that will not disappoint.

BEST BEACH READ

Contributing Vogue editor and author of the 2004 best-selling novel, "Bergdorf Blondes," Plum Sykes is back with a second book titled "The Debutante Divorcée," a comedic take on the glamorous lifestyle of wealthy, beautiful and divorced New York socialites. This novel is filled with posh international trips and peppered with plenty of celebrity name dropping.

"(Sykes) is a hot writer," said Cindy Kress, the community relations manager at Barnes and Noble Booksellers, 333 E. Grand River Ave. "The fast-paced city life that we don't live around here is so appealing and the characters are so much more larger than life than what is the norm around here."

And if you haven't yet read "Bergdorf Blondes," it would be a great read before "The Debutante Divorcée."

BEST BOOK BASED ON A TRUE STORY

Reissued and on the paperback best-seller list is Truman Capote's 1965 book, "In Cold Blood," a popular reading choice, said Kress.

"In Cold Blood" is a recount of the real-life 1959 murders of a wealthy farmer from Kansas and his wife, daughter and son. Capote learned about the murders after reading an article in The New York Times and traveled to Kansas to write about it.

The 2005 award-winning movie, "Capote," chronicles the author's experiences while writing this famous book.

BEST CLASSIC

Curious Book Shop, 307 E. Grand River Ave., a store that sells used books and magazines, recommends the 1961 science fiction classic "Stranger in a Strange Land," by Robert A. Heinlein, for an intriguing summer read.

It is a story about a man who was raised on Mars for the first 25 years of his life. He travels to Earth completely unaware of its culture and traditions and starts a religious movement.

"It's a great science fiction book," said Ray Walsh, owner of Curious Book Shop. "It's a classic."

"Stranger" was an international best seller and became a staple of the 1960s free-thinking and visionary generation. Pick this one up if you want variety from the current popular best sellers.

"It's one of the books that everyone is always saying, 'You've got to read this book,'" said Curious employee Greg Baldino. "And aren't we all strangers in a strange land?"

BEST CELEBRITY AUTHOR

The star of ABC's hit dramedy "Desperate Housewives," Teri Hatcher, has not only hit the small screen, but the bookstores as well with her new book "Burnt Toast: And Other Philosophies of Life."

With so many women asking Hatcher how she felt to attain a "comeback" when she was 40 years old, this book offers advice and inspiration — universal messages that many people can learn from reading "Toast."

"I would say because of the 'Desperate Housewives' series, a lot of the girls I work with are hooked on (Hatcher)," Kress said. "A lot would gravitate toward that because of her popularity right now."

Hatcher is raising a child by herself and — although now an A-list actress — has experienced many ups and downs throughout her life and career, along with juggling the motherly duties of bake sales and dying cats. Without the designer dresses and glitzy L.A. parties, it's nice to know Hatcher is just like the rest of us.

"Burnt Toast" is available in stores on May 2.

BEST BOOK-TURNED-MOVIE

If you haven't been living under a rock for the past three years, you are probably aware of author Dan Brown's controversial New York Times best seller, "The Da Vinci Code."

Although the climactic novel was published in March 2003, it is still receiving attention on the news and is also being made into a movie, which will be released on May 19.

Its disputed plot, which has outraged some Catholic groups, questions whether Jesus Christ had children — and, if so, where is his bloodline?

"'The Da Vinci Code' is huge right now," Kress said. "It is record breaking. It's back on the top five on the best sellers list. Two different versions are on the best-seller list at the same time, which is unheard of. I think that you'll find even after a movie comes out, it pushes people that haven't read it to pick it up and read it. There will be buzz around it."

So if you haven't yet jumped on the bandwagon and read "The Da Vinci Code," it is a perfect summer read. Just make sure you finish the book before you watch it on the big screen.

BEST BOOK-CLUB READ

If you are in a book club, the Summer Book Club, which meets at Woody's Oasis Bar & Grill, 211 E. Grand River Ave., on Wednesdays at 9 p.m., has a few good ideas for this summer.

Club member Scott Davis, a social relations and education senior, said the group is contemplating reading "The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay," by Michael Chabon. This novel is about two boys — one who is handicapped and the other who is a Jewish escapee from Nazi Germany. They discover a talent for superhero comics in the 1930s and score a contract to publish their comic, called "The Escapist," about a magician who destroys the German troops.

"The Blind Watchmaker: Why the Evidence of Evolution Reveals a Universe Without Design," by Richard Dawkins, is another book-club option. It explains many misconceptions concerning evolution and reveals why the world is truly a phenomenon.

Club member Molly Lumbard, an MSU alumna, also recommends going to Schuler Books & Music for reading material because it has a year-round display of books that other book clubs are reading. Larger book clubs conduct lengthy research before deciding upon reading material, so Lumbard always finds captivating choices at the Schuler's display.

BEST ALL-AROUND

Every year, East Lansing and MSU team up to find a book that both residents and students will enjoy reading with the "One Book, One Community" program. MSNBC columnist Jeannette Walls' best-selling memoir, "The Glass Castle," is this year's chosen book.

Growing up with an alcoholic father and a free-spirited artistic mother, Walls' childhood was anything but conventional. From eating out of trash cans to wearing shoes bound together with safety pins, she mostly fended for herself.

"It's the number one book in our store," Kress said. "It's something we'll keep selling for all summer. I know guys who have read it who really enjoyed it … It's definitely a fast read so that's always good for something to take with you on vacation or to the beach."

Fans of Walls' book can meet and hear her reflect upon her experiences at 7:30 p.m. on Aug. 23 at the Hannah Community Center, 819 Abbot Road. There will also be several events centered on the book, such as an essay contest and a community-wide book discussion. Events will begin Aug. 23 and continue until Sept. 29.

Share and discuss “So many books so much time” on social media.