Lohan moves from teen queen persona into full-fledged actress

No longer the innocent, freckled-face tween from "The Parent Trap," actress Lindsay Lohan, 19, is eager to prove she is a serious actress who is here to stay.

In an online news interview with The State News and other media, Lohan talked about ditching her "teen queen" status, filming her first on-screen relationship and her string of new, grown-up films starting with "Just My Luck," in which she plays a Manhattan socialite named Ashley and "A Prairie Home Companion," filmed alongside the legendary Meryl Streep.

The State News: What interested you in the role of Ashley?

Lindsay Lohan: I like the fact that it's a coming-of-age role in many ways, and she's an older girl, who works in a publicity firm, but also she goes through a lot of ups and downs, and learns how to appreciate everything that she has accomplished in her life thus far. And I think it's setting a good example.

SN: What sets "Just My Luck" apart from your recent string of successful films?

LL: It's more of a romantic comedy than I've been able to do so far, and it's nice to have a comedic side to it. It also has my first on-screen relationship. Overall, it's a more mature film compared to the ones that I've done before.

SN: Were you nervous about having your first on-screen relationship in this movie?

LL: No, it was acting! It's just pretend!

SN: What was the best part of playing the lucky Manhattan socialite in "Just My Luck?"

LL: I've met people that I used for the character, just elements of socialites that I know, to perfect me playing her. It made a bit easier to research my character. And the clothing was great!

SN: Filming movies must take you all over the place. What was your favorite movie location and why?

LL: So far, working in Minnesota for "(A) Prairie Home Companion" because it was my first opportunity to shoot in a much calmer atmosphere away from all the distractions that take place in the cities I live in. I like the opportunity to focus on your craft. But I did also love shooting in New Orleans, and I feel very blessed to have been allowed to shoot part of "Just My Luck" there before the recent tragic disaster.

SN: Do you think "A Prairie Home Companion" and your other upcoming films will erase your "teen queen" status?

LL: Hopefully, if all goes as planned. But I don't want to lose my teen audience because I think it's important to grow with them rather than ahead of them.

SN: What was it like working with Meryl Streep? Did you get a lot of acting tips from her?

LL: More than discussing acting with her, I observed her and Lily Tomlin. I just wanted to get a feel for how they become their character, how they work with the rest of the cast and crew and other things that I keep to myself. We talked about so much that it's hard to pinpoint certain things she said to me.

SN: Of all the movies you've done, which ones have you enjoyed doing the most? And why?

LL: I've enjoyed all of them in their own ways, and I'm excited to keep making movies that are of that wholesome quality. And I hope people enjoy them, as well. I like to make people smile in my films.

SN: What is your ultimate professional goal? Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

LL: I would like to acquire an Oscar, and I'd like to have my own charity — amongst many other things. But I like to take every day as it comes.

SN: Which do you prefer, acting or singing?

LL: I like both. I think they're both very similar in their own ways. I use my acting and my singing, and I listen to music — they are both releases in their own ways. I'm indecisive. I also really love the fashion industry, as well. And I like directing — so who's to say what I will be involved in next?

Catch "Just My Luck" in theaters May 12. You can next see Lohan in "A Prairie Home Companion," followed by the Emilio Estevez indie flick, "Bobby" and "Chapter 27," about the days leading up to John Lennon's murder.

Share and discuss “Lohan moves from teen queen persona into full-fledged actress” on social media.