Local movie has interesting story line

Should you be held accountable if something horrible happens because of something you did, even if it wasn't what you meant to do? "An Apology to the Dead" asks viewers to decide as it examines the actions of a teacher who tries to help a student who seems impossible to save.

The film explores a variety of ethical dilemmas through the story of a professor, Julian Long (Troy Randall-Kilpatrick), and one of his students, Vanessa Coolidge (Jenelle Mazaris). The professor, who ironically teaches ethics, takes an extra interest in one of his students who had been seeking a lot of additional help in the class. The help was paying off, but Julian was starting to become too involved. The film moves quickly, and viewers are soon caught in an ethical dilemma that seems to offer little room for positive action.

The premise is intriguing and, in theory, the plot succeeds. In execution, the film stops short of greatness. "An Apology to the Dead" maintains an interesting story line, but fails to completely engage viewers. The suspense is there, but not in full force. If the plot would have left more room for mystery, the film would have been able to really captivate its audience.

Most of the actors in the film executed their roles easily and with great success. Randall-Kilpatrick captured the psyche one would expect a real ethics professor would have. He maintained his character in the classroom scenes and in the scenes where he plays a father with a failing marriage.

Mazaris is equally convincing as the student by day/prostitute by night. She embraces the dual personality and pulls off the multiple characteristics such a person would possess. She is mysterious and seductive, but also deeply troubled, desperate and depressed.

There are moments in the film where the acting wanes and viewers are painfully reminded this was scripted. Certain lines seem unrealistic and rehearsed instead of spur of the moment and emotional. Fortunately, the very real feel of the characters overpowers these moments of forced acting.

While other parts of the film have their flaws, the soundtrack is perfect. Most of the score was composed originally for the film, and the soundtrack adds depth and feeling to each scene.

The filming seemed to focus on a lot of really close-up shots, which was good for the intense character-to-character exchanges, but viewers are cheated out of a context for events. The plot would have been complemented by some wide shots of campus — a large portion of the film was shot at MSU.

"An Apology to the Dead" is an ambitious film that tackles some of the most basic ethical dilemmas people are faced with. Despite its minor flaws, the film is an intelligent and pleasurable addition to the thriving local film scene.

Share and discuss “Local movie has interesting story line” on social media.