Former great band lost touch; new album lacks originality

There's a lazy, beat-down feeling to every electric note on Built to Spill's new album — "You in Reverse."

Released on April 11, all of the songs are drawn-out without a sense of originality. The indie-rock foursome is the "You" in the title of the album and is moving creativity backwards.

As B.B. King would say, "The thrill is gone," and Built to Spill is a band with nothing to prove or contribute to the underground scene.

With the new material, the Idaho-based group seems to be saying to its fans, "Yeah, we've already kind of made it in the music industry, so here are some lethargic sounds with trite lyrics that you will listen to because you like our old stuff."

It's a bummer.

Not only is the band hurting its listeners, but hurting itself because "You in Reverse" isn't going to lure any new fans.

The first track on the album — "Goin' Against Your Mind" — is almost nine minutes in length and about five minutes too long. Drummer Scott Plouf holds down the same poppy elementary groove almost throughout, save a corny quiet bit in the middle.

Singer/songwriter/guitarist Doug Martsch does provide a soothing tone with his delicate vocal delivery, but he seems to have taken a vacation from writing coherent, interesting lyrics.

Martsch repeats the song title about a gazillion times, while the rest of the lyrics consist of more vague, abstract lines such as, "If you're not sure who not to believe/Who has better reasons to deceive?"

"Goin' Against Your Mind" seems to be a response to Wilco's "Spiders (Kidsmoke)" tune — both songs stretch the boundaries of pop song length and keep the same basic groove throughout. But unlike Wilco, the Built to Spill version lacks any emotional depth or edginess.

Again, it's a bummer.

On all 10 tracks, Martsch repeats the pattern of overusing the song titles as the chorus while sprinkling in meaningless, uninspiring expressions. The saddest part is it took Martsch five years to write these songs since Built to Spill's last studio release — "Ancient Melodies of the Future" — came out in 2001.

Maybe Martsch got hooked on reality television like the rest of United States. Whatever happened, his lyrics and musical intensity went by the wayside in the new album.

Share and discuss “Former great band lost touch; new album lacks originality” on social media.