Wednesday, May 1, 2024

Mexican fast food abundant in E.L.

It seems you can't go more than a few feet in East Lansing these days without stumbling upon the newest trend in fast food: Mexican.

These new alternatives to the typical deli or hamburger-and-fries chain are sprouting up everywhere, and they don't seem to be slowing down. Why is it that — far from the border — so many fast food restaurants are catering to students with Mexican taste buds?

One could point a finger at the price. Taco Bell, 565 E. Grand River Ave., has been a staple in college students' diets ever since the restaurant sold tacos for about 29 cents. I believe my dad even frequented a Taco Bell at MSU in his long-haired, hippie days.

Taco Bell is no doubt the cheapest of the takeout places. But reputation isn't built on high-quality ingredients. I'm pretty sure if even half the people who frequent Taco Bell knew what was really going into their soft taco, they'd turn and run the other way.

But somehow Taco Bell has flourished. Plus the chain always has a new specialty item on the menu, from Crunchwrap Supremes to Chicken Caesar Grilled Stuft Burritos.

But if you are willing to cough up a tad more money, Big Ten Burrito, 403 E. Grand River Ave., offers an inexpensive selection as well as slightly better ingredients. Probably the biggest appeal of the restaurant is that it lists all its prices with tax included at whole dollar amounts. There's no need to dig around for change. It's cheap and easy and, most recently, delivers. Although I've never used the delivery service, it seems to have a large fleet of automobiles and a lot of business.

Big Ten Burrito is the second restaurant of its kind, the first being in Ann Arbor. One of the owners, Adam Lowenstein, is a recent graduate from the University of Michigan. In the past, the restaurant has held a weekend-long burrito eat-off against the other location.

"The whole Midwest is lacking a good burrito place," Lowenstein told The State News in May.

Well, Lowenstein sure has a fair bit of competition now. Which brings up the question, can they all survive?

Two other fast food Mexican restaurants have been in the area for a few years now. Qdoba Mexican Grill, 1127 Grand River Ave., and Panchero's Mexican Grill, 125 E. Grand River Ave., probably offer the widest selection of Mexican munchies.

Since Qdoba is so far down Grand River Avenue from the downtown area, most people have to go out of their way to eat there. Due to its location, it's not the most popular of the restaurants. But it sure has its diehard fans who refuse to eat Mexican anywhere else.

Panchero's, which is located smack dab in the middle of the bar scene, has a late-night snack reputation. Since it's open until 3 a.m. every day of the week except Sunday, it gets the bar crowd rush, which sends masses of tipsy, hungry students out into the night. It's only logical that the longest lines I've ever encountered there come well past midnight.

The newest addition to Mexican fast food mix, Chipotle, comes from Denver. Denver? Really?

Regardless of the home base, the chain is working fast to gather up its own flock of hungry students. It gave out free food on Thursday with an invitation and to everyone in line on Friday. Surprisingly, since Friday was St. Patrick's Day, the longest line in East Lansing wasn't in front of a bar. It was in front of Chipotle, 539 E. Grand River Ave.

Of course, free food always motivates students to turn out in droves. But I can't help but wonder if the same would have happened if a bakery leased the spot and was giving away muffins.

Chipotle is amazingly efficient. With a plethora of workers, your burrito, taco or salad is made assembly-line style. The ingredients seem to be incredibly fresh, but slightly on the spicy side.

Considering the short amount of time students have to eat and their dwindling budgets, perhaps that is why the many Mexican fast food restaurants think they can do well here. Or perhaps they think kids are just sick of eating subs or burgers.

So why are fast food Mexican restaurants sizzling hot in Mid-Michigan? Well, I don't really know, but I'm sure not complaining. Now pass me those nachos.

Jacqueline WayneGuite is a State News copy editor. Ask her out for tacos at waynegui@msu.edu.

Share and discuss “Mexican fast food abundant in E.L.” on social media.