Wednesday, May 1, 2024

Family death basis for dark comedy

"In Memory of My Father" is a dark comedy about a dysfunctional family — clearly something all audiences can relate to.

A bigwig Hollywood producer has died, and his family is coming together for the first time in ages for the wake. Before he died, he asked his son Chris (Christopher Jaymes), to create a documentary about his death and its effect on the family.

At the beginning, viewers feel as if they're watching the actual documentary about a father's death instead of a feature-length film.

The film focuses on personalities and the intricacies of human relationships. Without good acting, this film would be painful to watch. Luckily, viewers can depend on the skilled cast, which seamlessly carries the story, to keep them entertained.

The film stars Jeremy Sisto, ("Six Feet Under") Judy Greer, ("The Village") and Eric Michael Cole ("Mr. Holland's Opus").

Each character in the film has a distinct personality, delivered to the audience convincingly by the actors.

Audiences can also count on the soundtrack to keep them engaged. In the closing scene, most of the family joins in singing an impromptu song hammered out on the piano by the brothers. The chorus and main lyrics to the song are "Dad is dead."

It manages to carve out hilarious moments in the middle of a tragic event. "In Memory of My Father" takes viewers through the full circle of emotions. See the film at the East Lansing Film Festival on March 24.

For more information on the film, visit www.inmemoryofmyfather.com.

Share and discuss “Family death basis for dark comedy” on social media.