Dark romance film will keep viewers' attention

In "Keep Your Distance," Gil Bellows stars as popular radio talk show host David Dailey who has it all — and consequently seems to be losing it.

On the surface Dailey and his wife Susan (Kim Raver) are living the American dream, but as the film progresses Dailey begins to discover things are not what they seem.

Bellows has quite a résumé. You're most likely to recognize him from "The Shawshank Redemption" or a few episodes of "Ally McBeal." His experience pays off. Bellows' acting helps carry "Keep Your Distance."

The film follows the true Fellini filmmaking style, incorporating memory, dreams, fantasy and desire to weave a story that truly focuses on the intricacies of human interaction. It successfully incorporates numerous subplots without distracting viewers from its main focus. It wraps everything up nicely at the end, but don't expect a huge bang. Things are resolved more like they would be in real life than in a big budget Hollywood thriller.

"Keep Your Distance" engages audiences and really causes viewers to invest in the plot. Each character is complex. The film keeps you guessing at the true nature of everyone involved. Only at the surprise ending is it clear who is trustworthy.

The film is set in Kentucky. The location provides an interesting backdrop for the story of lust and betrayal one might expect to be played out in a huge city. The change in scenery is refreshing. The film really works the location into the plot by incorporating horse races and Southern values.

If you like dark romances or twist endings, you should definitely check out "Keep Your Distance" at the East Lansing Film Festival on March 25. Director Stu Pollard is scheduled to attend the screening, so viewers will be able to talk with the man responsible for the film.

For more information, visit www.distanceflick.com.

Share and discuss “Dark romance film will keep viewers' attention” on social media.