Sunday, April 28, 2024

'TransGeneration' full of humor, drama, hope

Going away to college is the final transition from childhood to adulthood for many students. College is a time for experimentation — a chance to grow up and find yourself without the influence of your parents. Every college student struggles to choose a major and make decisions about the rest of his or her life.

What would it be like to deal with all the high school to college transition challenges while also transitioning into a different gender?

Sundance Channel's "TransGeneration" explores what life is like for four transgender college students. The eight-episode documentary series allows viewers to step inside the lives of male-to-female and female-to-male college students.

Throughout the course of the series, viewers meet Raci, Gabbie, T.J. and Lucas. Each individual has a unique perspective to share. Although the documentary's focus is on the experience of transgender students, viewers will experience what college life is like in general.

"TransGeneration" provides an insightful look at a topic often ignored by the mainstream media. Viewers will be enlightened and perhaps surprised throughout the course of getting to know these students. The focus on transgender issues will be liberating for other transgender individuals who rarely get to see someone like them on television.

The documentary can also be enjoyed by nontransgender audiences. It's an engaging look at someone else's life. The series tells a great story, and that is something that can be appreciated by anyone.

The documentary keeps its scope wide in every aspect of the series. In addition to finding four very different people to focus on, each student attends a vastly different institution.

The students in the documentary tackle a wide variety of issues. Viewers grapple with the cost benefit equation connected to hormone use. They get to be part of the process of Gabbie's sex reassignment surgery planning, and struggle with Raci as she tries to find a way to meet her financial needs.

Audiences also share in the good times; the documentary is full of hope. The series affords viewers plenty of laughs and success stories. Many of the issues facing the four students are universal and will strike a familiar chord with any viewer.

Everyone struggles to fit in, make friends and find a place in the world. These challenges will resonate with all audiences and will probably bring older viewers back to the time when they were young and unsure of what their future careers and lives would be like.

Viewers really come to know the people featured in "TransGeneration." This is not a documentary that uses people as an example for directors' narrative. The stories are told by the students experiencing them.

Director Jeremy Simmons manages to stay invisible and adds to the impact of the series. Viewers feel as if they are right there on campus hanging out with these new people they have met. Due to the real life quality of the show, "TransGeneration" is easy to get addicted to. Viewers will have difficulty waiting to see how each story ends.

"TransGeneration" is an ambitious documentary that can be enjoyed by all audiences. It encompasses a range of emotions and manages to be both heartbreaking and hilarious while acquainting the world with the important issues facing transgender individuals.

"TransGeneration" comes out on DVD today. For more information, visit www.sundancechannel.com/transgeneration.

Share and discuss “'TransGeneration' full of humor, drama, hope” on social media.