Friday, October 18, 2024

Defense finally breaks out

Indiana's running back Yamar Washington is tackled during the first quarter by MSU's David Herron Jr. (41) and Domata Peko (96). The Spartans won, 46-15, against the Hoosiers.

A struggling and inconsistent Spartan defensive unit may have gotten the turnaround it was looking for in Saturday's 46-15 win over Indiana.

Using a more aggressive strategy, the defense intercepted three passes for the first time since 2003, recovered a fumble, recorded two sacks, and made six tackles for losses, all while holding the Hoosier offense to 369 total yards. The four takeaways match a season-high.

"The defense got some turnovers, got some extra shots at the ball," MSU head coach John L. Smith said. "That's good to see. Hopefully we can keep flying around, doing that a little bit more."

Smith said the decision to blitz more was reflective of the matchups analyzed in film sessions leading up to the week.

"It's dictated by what you see," Smith said. "We felt like we could get up, we could be a little bit physical, we could get in their face, we could challenge these guys, so we felt pretty comfortable about bringing some heat."

Smith said the play of his cornerbacks was a particular bright spot. MSU only gave up 232 passing yards, compared to an average of 280 passing yards through eight games this season.

"The more confidence they give you, the more your comfort level expands as a coach," Smith said.

Injury update

Senior offensive lineman Stefon Wheeler left Saturday's contest in the second quarter due to an ankle injury. Smith said Wheeler's status is still in question.

"We won't know on him until probably Wednesday at the earliest," he said.

Senior wide receiver Kyle Brown, who didn't play Saturday due to an ankle injury, will be back at full strength this week, Smith said. He said Brown was 80 percent at gametime.

"Kyle is a guy that will not miss unless he strictly has to miss," he said.

Smith said senior receiver Matt Trannon will also be back at full strength for Saturday. Trannon has seen limited action in the Spartans' last two games.

Special teams honors

Junior cornerback Demond Williams earned the Big Ten Special Teams Player of the Week Award for his 98-yard kickoff return to open the game and blocked extra point in the second quarter that resulted in a defensive two-point conversion.

It's the first Big Ten award of Williams' career.

Punting troubles

Junior kicker Brandon Fields' struggles continued Saturday when he punted three times for an average of 21.7 yards per kick. Fields had one punt partially blocked and another fully blocked.

Smith said he plans on giving junior kicker John Goss, who was relieved of his field goal kicking duties in favor of freshman Matt Haughey, more practice punting.

"Everybody needs a little competition," Smith said.

Lack of attendance

Although over 74,000 tickets were sold for Saturday's game, a substantial amount of empty seats remained in the upper bowl and in certain areas of the student section.

"It's always disappointing when the house is not full," Smith said. "But I guess it depends on where you are. A lot of places would be packed regardless."

Share and discuss “Defense finally breaks out” on social media.